HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3807
Name:St. Constantine's Parish Church, Milton Abbot

Summary

Church. St. Constantine. A 15th century building (hoskins).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 407 792
Map Sheet:SX47NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMilton Abbot
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMILTON ABBOT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5388
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47NW/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Roman to XXI - 43 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

TYERS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV100393.

Tree ring analysis of decorated wagon roof. Roof has moulded ribs and carved bosses thought to date from the late c15 to early c16. Dendrochronology of timbers from the nave roof set a felling date ranging between ad 1504-1536, so placing the construction of the roof in the pre-reformation period (tyers).


Finberg, H. P. R., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1533.

Dedication of church to ss. Constantine and giles is questioned by author (finberg).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

Granite tower with diagonal buttresses and stair-turret. Author notes church plate (pevsner).


Fryer Cornelius, C., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV214975.

A fully aisled late 15th or early 16th century church. Modern porches on either side of chancel chapels. Original wagon-roofs plaster ceiled throughout. Font octagonal, 16th century (fryer cornelius).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240926.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954) 435.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240927.

Fryer cornelius, c. /jbaa/15(1952)47-72,pls/ancient churches of the tavistock deanery, devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240928.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)206.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240929.

Kerslake, t. /jbaa/33(1877)416/traces of the ancient kingdom of damnonia outside cornwall.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240930.

Chanter, j. F. /tda/42(1910)490/christianity in devon before ad 909.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240931.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/46(1914)235/the hundred of tavistock in early times.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240932.

Oliver, g. /monasticon diocesis exoniensis/(1846)95.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240933.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/30(1898)310/the domesday churches of devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240934.

Finberg, h. P. R. /dcnq/24(1950-1951)225-226/church dedications in devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240935.

Doe/hhr:milton abbot/(7/11/1985)136-137.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240936.

Dyer, m. J. + manning, p. T. /objective 5b: lower tamar valley recreation and land management initiative: cultural heritage appraisal/(1998)16/(ea report 98.60).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240937.

Des=tyers, i. /tree-ring analysis of the oak timbers from the nave roof of the church of st. Constantine and st. Aegidius, milton abbot/(2002)/eh centre for archaeology report 115/2002/in pf.


Dyer, M. + Manning, P., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV27135.

Parish church of st. Constantine and st. Aegidius in hurdwick stone with granite dressings and granite ahslar w tower. Pointed inner doorway of sw porch may be c14. Se porch leading to bedford family pew. Nave roof has some original c14/c15 bosses (dyer + manning).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326141.

Parish church. Some evidence of 14th century work, mostly 15th century, substantially restored in the late 19th century. Perpendicular windows. There is evidence of considerable re-arrangement to both the north and south arcades, probably reflecting a 15th century rebuilding of 14th century aisles. Many various features see doe list for full details (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Church. St. Constantine. A 15th century building (hoskins).


REICHEL, 1898, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38916.

The church was appropriated to tavistock abbey by a papal bull in 1329 (reichel, 1914, citing oliver). There is presumed to have been a rural oratory at milton abbot at the time of the domesday survey. It was one of the areas where tavistock abbey held land (reichel, 1898).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV412.

Chanter notes dedication to celtic saints, st. Constantine and st. Teilo (chanter).


2003, Tree ring date lists 2003 (Article in Serial). SDV361608.

Tree ring data from the Church of St Constantine and St Aegidius (SX 4071 7927) records a felling date range of 1504-36 (from the nave roof) (citing I. Tyers, Tree-ring analysis of oak timbers from the nave roof of the church of St Constantine and St Aegidius, Milton Abbot, Council for Archaeology Report 115/2002. 14pp).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1326349 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish church. Some evidence of C14 work, mostly C15, substantially restored in the late C19. Dressed Hurdwick stone brought to course with granite dressings and slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, 4-bay north and south aisles each with 1 bay to the chancel, south west porch, probably early C19 south east and north east porches. Perpendicular style. The east walls of the north and south aisles are flush with the east wall of the chancel: all have coped granite gables with kneelers and may have been rebuilt. Three 3-light granite Perpendicular east windows with hoodmoulds, the tracery is probably C15 but the mullions appear to have been replaced. The south side has a south west porch and a small south east porch into the Bedford family pew. Changes to the plinth and straight joints indicate rebuilding at the west and east ends. Three 3-light C19 granite Perpendicular windows on the south side and one at the west end of the south have hoodmoulds. The masonry of the south east porch is not tied into the aisle, the porch has a coped gabled parapet with kneelers, a chamfered arched doorway below a blocked window and 2 chamfered slightly pointed lancets to the returns. On the north side the north east porch is similar, but slightly larger. In the westernmost bay of the aisle there is a C15 shallow-moulded arched priest's doorway with pyramid stops and a hoodmould. A projecting 5-sided stair turret to the former rood screen is in the bay next to the north east porch. The north aisle has 3-light granite Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, mullions and jambs replaced. The 3-stage battlemented west tower has diagonal buttresses with set-offs to the south west and north west corners, terminating in corner pinnacles with castellated cornices below obelisk finials. The south east buttress is set-back to the bottom stage and diagonal above. A projecting north east stair turret with set-offs and slit windows is battlemented and the north east tower buttress is set- back. The tower has a plinth and chamfered string courses. The west face of the tower has a deeply-moulded arched west doorway under a hoodmould with a stone relieving arch above, and a 3-light C19 or C20 Perpendicular granite west window. A rectangular glazed opening at bellringers' stage has a cinquefoil-headed light and carved spandrels. The clock on the east face has a moulded granite frame. Belfry openings on all faces of the tower consist of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights below a cusped roundel. The south west porch has a coped granite gable with an C18 sundial and a shallow-moulded almost round-headed doorway. The porch has a C19 ceiled waggon roof with moulded ribs and carved wall plate and bosses, slate benches. The steeply- pointed narrow inner doorway with deep moulding and a hoodmould may be C14. Interior There is evidence of considerable re-arrangement to both the north and south arcades, probably reflecting a C15 rebuilding of C14 aisles. The west respond of the north aisle may be C14 - it has a different moulding and a taller capital and shorter pier than the rest of the arcade. The westernmost pier also has a taller capital and is shorter than the other arcade piers but has the same 4 hollow and 4 shaft moulding and carries the same double hollow-chamfered arch. There are also variations in the height of the piers and capitals of the south arcade. Moulded granite corbels which formerly supported the arches into the chancel chapels suggest that the east end of the church may have been wholly rebuilt, one similar granite corbel on the south side originally supported the chancel arch. The present chancel arch is a pair of C19 moulded timber arches supported on paired brackets. Tall chamfered tower arch. Roofs throughout are ceiled wagons with moulded ribs and carved bosses. The nave roof has a carved wall plate and the bosses appear to be original. The aisle roofs have moulded wall plates and C19 bosses, the chancel roof appears to be wholly C19. The chancel has C19 tiling and a circa 1930s reredos with a carving of the last supper recessed behind panels with traceried canopies. The font is probably C19 with an octagonal bowl carved with blind quatrefoils alternating with other motifs on an octagonal stem with blind traceried panels. The Bedford family pew has Gothic late C19 panelling above a dado and contemporary benches with blind traceried panels and coats of arms. The Bedford servants' benches have various designs of traceried panels and the vicar's seat is set in the Bedford servants' block of benches. The late C19 timber pulpit is octagonal on a tall stem with moulded ribs and has deeply-cut blind traceried panels. The nave seating is also late C19 with plain recessed panels. A painted Royal Arms of William IV hangs in the tower. The rood loft stair is intact with chamfered 4-centred arches to the doorways. A wall monument to William Salmon, died 1750 has Corinthian columns flanking the inscription panel with a broken pediment above containing armorial bearings. Several C19 windows including a Hardman window in the easternmost bay of the north aisle commemorating Robert Stephens Jago, died 1866. Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Date first listed: 21st March 1967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV100393Migrated Record: TYERS.
SDV1533Migrated Record: Finberg, H. P. R..
SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV214975Migrated Record: Fryer Cornelius, C..
SDV240926Migrated Record:
SDV240927Migrated Record:
SDV240928Migrated Record:
SDV240929Migrated Record:
SDV240930Migrated Record:
SDV240931Migrated Record:
SDV240932Migrated Record:
SDV240933Migrated Record:
SDV240934Migrated Record:
SDV240935Migrated Record:
SDV240936Migrated Record:
SDV240937Migrated Record:
SDV27135Migrated Record: Dyer, M. + Manning, P..
SDV326141Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1326349.
SDV361608Article in Serial: 2003. Tree ring date lists 2003. Vernacular Architecture. 34. Unknown.
SDV38916Migrated Record: REICHEL, 1898.
SDV412Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV104368Parent of: Milton Abbot War Memorial (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 26 2018 9:27AM