HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38099
Name:Panshayne Farmhouse, Yarcombe

Summary

An early-mid 17th century farmhouse, later renovated in 1845.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 252 091
Map Sheet:ST20NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishYarcombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishYARCOMBE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST20NE/53
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1845 AD (Between))

Full description

Unattributed, Panshayne Farm, BH222002 (Ground Photograph). SDV354669.


Unattributed, Panshayne Farm, BH222021-BH222022 (Un-published). SDV354670.


Department of Environment, 1988, Yarcombe, 135 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV96900.

Early-mid 17th century, renovated in 1845. Exposed local stone and flint rubble; stone rubble stacks with stone rubble chimneyshafts with limestone ashlar quoins; slate roof since 1845, thatch before that.

Plan and development: 4-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built down a hillslope. The 2 rooms downhill to left (south) are 2 parlours with an axial stack between them serving back-to-back fireplaces; the central one is larger than the end one. In the centre is the passage. To right of it is a small unheated room which was formerly a dairy or buttery. Uphill at the right (north) end is a dining room but the gable-end stack here serves only the first floor chamber. There is a kitchen in a single storey block to rear of the dining room and it has a stack in the back wall. The house was refurbished and enlarged in 1845 (according to a datestone on the porch). A straight join in the front wall shows that the end parlour is a 19th century extension, so too is the rear kitchen. Thus the c17 house occupied the remaining 3 rooms of the main block with a parlour to left of the passage and probably a kitchen at the right end, although, if so, the stack has been demolished and the end wall rebuilt. The house is 2 storeys.

Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front. The ground floor windows are 20th century casements with glazing bars and the first floor windows are casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass; these date from 1845. The 3 ground floor windows of the original 17th century section have flat stone arches over. The passage front doorway is slightly right of centre and it contains a 19th century part-glazed plank door. The gabled porch has hamstone quoins and an elliptical headed outer arch with a projecting keystone which is inscribed ttfe drake bart 1845. The main roof is hipped to left and gable-ended to right. Interior is largely the result of the 1845 modernisation. Nevertheless the layout of the 17th century house appears to survive largely intact. The right end room has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The original parlour has a good 9-panel ceiling of richly moulded beams. The secondary parlour has a reused 17th century axial beam; it is chamfered with step stops. The roof was not inspected but since the trusses do not show on the first floor and the present roof has a low pitch the structure is believed to be 19th century.


Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills (Report - Survey). SDV344050.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH222H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Panshayne Farmhouse

Farmhouse. Early-mid 17th century, renovated in 1845. Exposed local stone and flint rubble; stone rubble stacks with stone rubble chimneyshafts with limestone ashlar quoins; slate roof since 1845, thatch before that.

Plan and development: 4-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built down a hillslope. The 2 rooms downhill to, left (south) are 2 parlours with an axial stack between them serving back-to-back fireplaces; the central one is larger than the end one. In the centre is the passage. To right of it is a small unheated room which was formerly a dairy or buttery. Uphill at the right (north) end is a dining room but the gable-end stack here serves only the first floor chamber. There is a kitchen in a single storey block to rear of the dining room and it has a stack in the back wall. The house was refurbished and enlarged in 1845 (according to a datestone on the porch). A straight join in the front wall shows that the end parlour is a 19th century extension, so too is the rear kitchen. Thus the 17th century house occupied the remaining 3 rooms of the main block with a parlour to left of the passage and probably a kitchen at the right end, although, if so, the stack has been demolished and the end wall rebuilt. The house is 2 storeys.

Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front. The ground floor windows are 20th century casements with glazing bars and the first floor windows are casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass; these date from 1845. The 3 ground floor windows of the original 17th century section have flat stone arches over. The passage front doorway is slightly right of centre and it contains a 19th century part-glazed plank door. The gabled porch has Hamstone quoins and an elliptical headed outer arch with a projecting keystone which is inscribed TTFE Drake Bart 1845. The chain roof is hipped to left and gable-ended to right. Interior is largely the result of the 1845 modernisation. Nevertheless the layout of the 17th century house appears to survive largely intact. The right end room has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The original parlour has a good 9-panel ceiling of richly moulded beams. The secondary parlour has a reused 17th century axial beam; it is chamfered with step stops. The roof was not inspected but since the trusses do not show on the first floor and the present roof has a low pitch the structure is believed to be 19th century.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH222H.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89820 ]
SDV354669Ground Photograph: Unattributed. Panshayne Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH222002.
SDV354670Un-published: Unattributed. Panshayne Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH222021-BH222022.
SDV96900List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Yarcombe. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 135.

Associated Monuments

MDV105489Part of: Panshayne Farm, Yarcombe (Monument)
MDV38100Related to: Barn, Panshayne Farm, Yarcombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Apr 29 2015 12:19PM