HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38102
Name:Woodhayne Farmhouse, Yarcombe

Summary

A 16th century-17th century farmhouse with later alterations and additions.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 249 122
Map Sheet:ST21SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishYarcombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishYARCOMBE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST21SW/15
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XX - 1501 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1988, Yarcombe, 143 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV96900.

Woodhayne Farmhouse

Farmhouse. 16th century and 17th century, thoroughly refurbished in the early 19th century, probably in 1830 (the date on the nearby barn). Plastered stone and flint rubble; stone rubble and brick stacks topped with plastered 19th century and 20th century brick; slate roof, formerly thatch.

Plan and development: L-plan farmhouse. The main block faces north-east and is built down the hillslope. Uphill at the right end is the inner room with a gable-end stack. Next to it is the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. Downhill at the left (south-east) end is the service end room with a gable-end stack. A 2-room plan service block projects at right angles to rear of the inner room and this has now been converted to domestic use. Since the roof was completely replaced circa 1830 it is not possible to determine the early structural history of the house. Nevertheless it seems likely that it began in the 16th century as some form of open hall house. The early features which remain date from the late 16th century-mid 17th century. The service end room was apparently refurbished as a kitchen in the early-mid 17th century, probably about the same time that the hall was floored over. It seems that the inner room was converted to a kitchen circa 1830 when the stack there was inserted and the rear service block added. Before this the inner room was probably the dairy or buttery. The farmhouse is 2 storeys.

Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front of 20th century casements with glazing bars and there are similar windows to rear. The passage front doorway is left of centre and it contains a 19th century plank door behind a contemporary gabled porch. The main roof is gable-ended. Interior: along the lower (former kitchen) side of the passage the headbeam shows from an oak plank-and-muntin screen. Part of the screen has been removed but some of the rest may remain behind later plaster. The former kitchen fireplace has only been partially exposed; it is large with beerstone ashlar jambs and a chamfered oak lintel which is continued over an alcove to left which is given an arched head. This alcove was originally a walk-in curing chamber. The crossbeam in the room is chamfered with step stops. The hall has a fireplace with Beerstone ashlar jambs and an oak lintel with its soffit slightly cut away. The ceiling here is 4 panels of intersecting beams with deep chamfers. The inner room has a 19th century brick kitchen fireplace but the mid-late 16th century axial beam here has deep chamfers with step stops. The roof and carpentry detail of the rear block is plain and dates from circa 1830.


Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills (Report - Survey). SDV344050.

16th/17th century farmhouse.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH224H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Woodhayne Farmhouse.

Farmhouse. 16th century and 17th century, thoroughly refurbished in the early 19th century, probably in 1830 (the date on the nearby barn). Plastered stone and flint rubble; stone rubble and brick stacks topped with plastered 19th century and 20th century brick; slate roof, formerly thatch.

Plan and development: L-plan farmhouse. The main block faces north-east and is built down the hillslope. Uphill at the right end is the inner room with a gable- end stack. Next to it is the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. Downhill at the left (south-east) end is the service end room with a gable-end stack. A 2-room plan service block projects at right angles to rear of the inner room and this has now been converted to domestic use. Since the roof was completely replaced circa 1830 it is not possible to determine the early structural history of the house. Nevertheless it seems likely that it began in the 16th century as some form of open hall house. The early features which remain date from the late 16th century-mid 17th century. The service end room was apparently refurbished as a kitchen in the early-mid 17th century, probably about the same time that the hall was floored over. It seems that the inner room was converted to a kitchen circa 1830 when the stack there was inserted and the rear service block added. Before this the inner room was probably the dairy or buttery. The farmhouse is 2 storeys.

Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front of 20th century casements with glazing bars and there are similar windows to rear. The passage front doorway is left of centre and it contains a 19th century plank door behind a contemporary gabled porch. The main roof is gable-ended. Interior: along the lower (former kitchen) side of the passage the headbeam shows from an oak plank-and-muntin screen. Part of the screen has been removed but some of the rest may remain behind later plaster. The former kitchen fireplace has only been partially exposed; it is large with Beerstone ashlar jambs and a chamfered oak lintel which is continued over an alcove to left which is given an arched head. This alcove was originally a walk-in curing chamber. The crossbeam in the room is chamfered with step stops. The hall has a fireplace with Beerstone ashlar jambs and an oak lintel with its soffit slightly cut away. The ceiling here is 4 panels of intersecting beams with deep chamfers. The inner room has a 19th century brick kitchen fireplace but the mid - late 16th century axial beam here has deep chamfers with step stops. The roof and carpentry detail of the rear block is plain and dates from circa 1830.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH224H.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89822 ]
SDV96900List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Yarcombe. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 143.

Associated Monuments

MDV105493Part of: Woodhayne Farm, Yarcombe (Monument)
MDV38103Related to: Barn, Woodhayne Farm, Yarcombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Aug 11 2016 3:03PM