HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3815
Name:MANSION HOUSE in the Parish of Lamerton

Summary

Hurlditch court. Hurlditch is of sixteenth century origin, largely re-built in the nineteenth century, after a fire. It is L-shaped in plan, two storeys, of coursed rubble with granite ashlar dressings and slate roof. It has stone mullioned windows and granite doorways.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 440 777
Map Sheet:SX47NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLamerton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47NW/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (XVI to XXI - 1501 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239803.

Doe=hhr:lamerton/(23/1/1987)22.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239804.

Exeter archaeology/objective 5b: lower tamar valley recreation and land management initiative cultural heritage appraisal hurlditch farm, lamerton/(1998)3,4/ea report 98.19.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326143.

Interior: jacobean style features, panelled hall to rear, has flat-headed granite fireplace with carved caryatids and panelling, ground floor rooms have similar panelling, front right room has carved fluted pilasters to sides of blocked fireplace. Open well stair has carved balusters, moulded grip handrail, finials and pendants; panelled doors (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239797.

Hurlditch court.


POSSIBLY REUSED FROM EARLIER BUILDING, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239799.

House on site of earlier building. Late c19, c20 internal alterations. Slatestone ashlar, granite and limestone dressings, some slatehanging, slate roofs, ridge stacks and rear lateral stacks with caps. Overall t-plan with a long cross wing at right end with 2-storey porch in the angle. Cross wing extends to rear where it contains service rooms and has entrance mid-way along right side and to rear. Main range contains stair hall and living rooms. Two-and-a-half storeys, 3:1:1 windows, gable end of cross wing to left has mullioned window at ground and first floor and decorative leaded lights at ground floor, similar ground and first floor 3-light casement.2-storey gabled porch in angle has 4-centred arched doorway, small square blind opening above and 3-light casement, bargeboards, left side of porch has ground floor 2-light window with ogee granite heads (possibly reused from earlier building); 2-storey range to left has ground floor windows with decorative leaded lights and hood-mould, first floor has 3 similar windows, carved brackets under eaves. Right return has 6 windows, at first floor, ground floor also varied with hood-mould, third bay from left has similar 4-centred arched doorway, 3 external stacks, second floor has 3 raking dormers with casements, 2 unequal gables each with 2 single lights of different sizes and stack rising through centre, bellcote on ridge with ogee roof and ball finial; plinth. Left return slate-hung, inner side of wing to right has mullion and transom window lighting stair and small flat-roofed addition in angle with casement, single light below stair light and wooden casement above, gabled dormer set back with casement and bargeboards, gable to left has two casements at ground and first floor; rear to left has door and casement, wooden porch. Rear has slate-hung gable end with casement at first floor, single storey lower wing with 2 single lights, 3-light opening to side with hollow-chamfered mullions; wall attached to right enclosing inner courtyard, about 2 metres high in rubble with 4-centred arched chamfered opening, possibly reused.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79.

Vis=-/3/1998 (ea) the present hurlditch court is a listed grade ii structure. It was built in 1905 to replace the earlier house (built 1570) which was destroyed by fire that year. The original kitchens remained intact and were incorporated into the new building. The plan of the current house is the same as that shown on the 2nd edition os map where it is annotated 'on site of mansion'. The earlier building had 2 ranges and is shown on the tm (1842) on which the w range is coloured, suggesting that this was the main dwelling. The tm also shows buildings (non-dwellings) to the n and nw and a square water feature to the e, presumably a pond. The 2 main ranges and the pond are shown on the 1st edition map. However, the farm building to the n of the pond appears to have been demolished by this date and that to the nw had been altered or rebuilt (exeter archaeology).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX47NW2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV239802.

Hurlditch is of sixteenth century origin, largely re-built in the nineteenth century, after a fire. It is L-shaped in plan, two storeys, of coursed rubble with granite ashlar dressings and slate roof. It has stone mullioned windows and granite doorways.

The mansion was built in 1570, but was destroyed by fire in 1905, except for the kitchen which was incorporated in the new house, built in the same year.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Name: HURLDITCH COURT
List entry Number: 1305781
Grade: II
Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

House on site of earlier building. Late C19 by Walter Sarel for Reginald Moreshead, C20 internal alterations. Slatestone ashlar, granite and limestone dressings, some slatehanging, slate roofs, ridge stacks and rear lateral stacks with caps. Overall T-plan with a long cross wing at right end with 2-storey porch in the angle. Cross wing extends to rear where it contains service rooms and has entrance mid-way along right side and to rear. Main range contains stair hall (stair to rear) and living rooms. 2½ storeys, 3:1:1 windows, gable end of cross wing to left has 5-light mullioned window at ground and first floor, hollow-chamfered, with hood-mould and decorative leaded lights at ground floor, similar ground and first floor 3-light casement, stepped plinth; 2-storey gabled porch in angle has 4-centred arched doorway with hood-mould, stops, carved roundels in spandrels, small square blind opening above and 3-light casement, bargeboards, left side of porch has ground floor 2-light window with ogee granite heads (possibly reused from earlier building) with fleuron in spandrel and hood-mould; 2-storey range to left has 6- and 5-light ground floor windows with decorative leaded lights and hood-mould, first floor has two 3-light and one 4-light similar window, carved brackets under eaves, wall extended to left with coping and round-headed, roll-moulded opening, gable end of range has string course returned and bargeboards. Right return has 6 windows, at first floor of 3, 2, two single, 3 and 4 lights, as on front, ground floor also varied with hood-mould, third bay from left has similar 4-centred arched doorway, 3 external stacks, central 1 corbelled and first floor cill string, second floor has 3 raking dormers with 3-light casements, 2 unequal gables each with 2 single lights of different sizes and stack rising through centre, bellcote on ridge with ogee roof and ball finial; plinth. Left return slate-hung, inner side of wing to right has 8-light mullion and transom window lighting stair and small flat-roofed addition in angle with 2-light casement, single light below stair light and 2-light wooden casement above, gabled dormer set back with 2-light casement and bargeboards, gable to left has two 2-light casements at ground and first floor with hood below first floor cills, granite quoin strip to left; rear to left has door and 3-light casement, wooden porch. Rear has slate-hung gable end with 2-light casement at first floor, single storey lower wing with 2 single lights, square in hollow-chamfered surround, 3-light opening to side with hollow-chamfered mullions; wall attached to right enclosing inner courtyard, about 2 metres high in rubble with 4-centred arched chamfered opening, possibly reused. Interior Jacobean style features, panelled hall to rear, has flat-headed granite fireplace with carved caryatids and panelling, ground floor rooms have similar panelling, front right room has carved fluted pilasters to sides of blocked fireplace. Open well stair has carved balusters, moulded grip handrail, finials and pendants; panelled doors.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV239797Migrated Record:
SDV239799Migrated Record: POSSIBLY REUSED FROM EARLIER BUILDING.
SDV239802Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX47NW2. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV239803Migrated Record:
SDV239804Migrated Record:
SDV326143Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #112598 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV79Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 25 2018 3:08PM