HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV38244
Name:Bow, Kings Arms Inn


18C Kings Arms Inn of cob & stone rubble on the north side of the main road in Bow


Grid Reference:SS 722 017
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBow
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/91
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Bow, 11 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV55706.

Kings Arms Inn on the north side of the road. Public house. Probably late 18C-early 19C. Plastered cob and rubble; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roof. Main block faces south and comprises 1 room either side of large central carriageway, the western room has rear lateral stack and eastern room has axial stack backing onto carriageway. To rear of right room is a service block at right angles containing bars and stores with chambers above and a cellar below, these converted from stables and stores. 19C additions at right angles to rear of left room. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front of original 16-pane sashes and stucco front is incised as ashlar. Carriageway has large 19C double plank doors at both ends and 19C front doorcase comprising flanking low pilasters beneath ornate cast iron brackets which carry a flat hood with moulded entablature. Interior has plain carpentry detail where exposed including a large rubble fireplace with plain oak lintel resting on oak pads in left bar. Main block has mid 19C king post truss roof. The layout of Barakel adjoining to left suggests that Kings Arms built partly in upper end of a 16C hall house and party wall is the upper hall partition. According to owner this was site of 17C maltings.

Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M., 2002, Untitled Source, 9 (Pamphlet). SDV321149.

The King's Arms Inn probably took its name from the fact that King Charles I stayed at an 'alehouse in Nimet Traci' in 1644. This building was a Brew House or Malt House standing at the corner of Water Lane & the main road to the west of the King's Arms Inn (see PRN 38245).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV321149Pamphlet: Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M.. 2002. Thirteen Centuries in Bow alias Nymet Tracey with Broadnymet. Leaflet. 9.
SDV55706List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Bow. Historic Houses Register. Comb Bound. 11.

Associated Monuments

MDV38245Related to: Barakel and Riddaway's Stores, Bow (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:May 7 2015 1:48PM