HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38468
Name:Tornewton House, Torbryan

Summary

The site of the mansion house of the Peter family from at least the 14th to 17th centuries. The present house is mainly 19th century, although it may incorporate some 16th century work

Location

Grid Reference:SX 815 678
Map Sheet:SX86NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDenbury and Torbryan
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishTORBRYAN

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86NW/198
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (XIV to XVII - 1301 AD to 1700 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV306717.

Doe/hhr:torbryan/(15/10/1984)19.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV306718.

Des=gallant, l. /deer parks/(1986)/manuscript in smr.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV333137.

Tornewton house. House, formerly the mansion house of the peter family from at least c14 to c17. Present house mainly early c19 with victorian alterations; possibly some c16 work at the back. Rendered stone, with a little brick. Slate roofs. A very complex building, but three main parts can be distinguished. The present main range, clearly built on to an earlier structure and possibly itself incorporating a pre-c19 building. Three storeys. Symmetrical 5-window front, the centre 3 second-storey windows grouped together. Centre doorway has projecting rectangular stone porch probably mid c19 now glazed on plinth. Doorway to porch and windows in each side-wall round-arched, with moulded archivolts continued as a string course at springing-level. Deeply projecting cornice and blocking course above. At either side in ground storey a pair of 4 light french windows with glazing bars and barred side lights having fringed blind-cases with long scroll-brackets at either side. Second-storey windows have similar blind-cases and (except for the middle window) bow-fronted guard-rails of trellised ironwork. Windows here are c19 4-panel timber sashes, with a high proportion of old glass surviving. Pilasters at either end of front with double incised instication. Over second storey a heavy wood cornice on big brackets, emulating a c18 eaves cornice. Third, attic, storey set back a little (probably a later addition) with three 2-light wood casement windows and flanking pilasters. The right hand gable over fenestrated with frames of various dates and patterns. Secondly a rear wing running off the main house at an angle, possibly the remains of an earlier house. Two storeys. Two rooms deep, the rear rooms being the older.6-paned barred sash in each storey, ground-storey window having a round-headed window at either side. Rear wall has round-arched doorway with granite voussoirs, now converted to a window. Thirdly, an exterior stone and timber staircase, probably c19, with brick pillar having a moulded cap, supporting a timber canopy at the second half-landing and formerly ending under a pent roof now cemented in and serving a large addition at garrett level. Sir william peter, secretary of state to henry viii, edward vi, mary and elizabeth was born here. Seat of the wolston family in the c18 and c19, john wolston esquire being the occupant in 1793. Interior not inspected (doe).


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1170152 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Tornewton House. House, formerly the mansion house of the Peter family from at least C14 to C17. Present house mainly early C19 with Victorian alterations; possibly some C16 work at the back. Rendered stone, with a little brick. Slate roofs. A very complex building, but three main parts can be distinguished. The present main range, clearly built on to an earlier structure and possibly itself incorporating a pre- C19 building. Three storeys. Symmetrical 5-window front, the centre 3 second- storey windows grouped together. Centre doorway has projecting rectangular stone porch probably mid C19 now glazed on plinth. Doorway to porch and windows in each side-wall round-arched, with moulded archivolts continued as a string course at springing-level. Deeply projecting cornice and blocking course above. At either side in ground storey a pair of 4 light French windows with glazing bars and barred side lights having fringed blind-cases with long scroll-brackets at either side. Second-storey windows have similar blind-cases and (except for the middle window) bow-fronted guard-rails of trellised ironwork. Windows here are C19 4-panel timber sashes, with a high proportion of old glass surviving. Pilasters at either end of front with double incised instication. Over second storey a heavy wood cornice on big brackets, emulating a C18 eaves cornice. Third, attic, storey set back a little (probably a later addition) with three 2-light wood casement windows and flanking pilasters. The right hand gable over fenestrated with frames of various dates and patterns. Secondly a rear wing running off the main house at an angle, possibly the remains of an earlier house. Two storeys. Two rooms deep, the rear rooms being the older. 6-paned barred sash in each storey, ground-storey window having a round-headed window at either side. Rear wall has round-arched doorway with granite voussoirs, now converted to a window. Thirdly, an exterior stone and timber staircase, probably C19, with brick pillar having a moulded cap, supporting a timber canopy at the second half-landing and formerly ending under a pent roof now cemented in and serving a large addition at garrett level. Sir William Peter, Secretary of State to Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth was born here. Seat of the Wolston family in the C18 and C19, John Wolston Esquire being the occupant in 1793. Interior not inspected.
Date first listed: 15th October 1984

Sources / Further Reading

SDV306717Migrated Record:
SDV306718Migrated Record:
SDV333137Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89905 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1170152.

Associated Monuments

MDV120006Part of: Tornewton Farm, Torbryan (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 10 2017 3:35PM