HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3893
Name:Thrushelton, Cannon Barn

Summary

Cannon Barn, former manor house in the parish of Thrushelton. Likely to be 16th century in date, several original features retained both inside and outside.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 444 870
Map Sheet:SX48NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishThrushelton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTHRUSHELTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48NW/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Unknown date)

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239881.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/28(1896)468/the domesday hundreds: listone.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239882.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/46(1914)209-210/hundred of lifton at testa de nevil, 1243.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239883.

Gover, j. E. B. + mawer, a. + stenton, f. M. /the place-names of devon/(1931)210.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239884.

Doe/hhr:thrushelton/(7/11/1985)180.


REICHEL, 1914, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV2639.

Cannon barn, formerly canon barn, a farmhouse of rubble construction with a cement rendered, partly slatehung frontage. Two four-light mullioned windows suggest that the core is of 16th century date. Dripstones of one window frame carries letters "r" and "p", said to be initials of robert prescott, an early lord of the manor. Internal original features include:- oak beams, granite fireplace (partly covered with plaster), the original oak panelling said to have been removed many years ago to sydenham (os). Domesday manor of tresetone, held by judhel of totnes in demesne. Held by grim in the time of king edward.(reichel). Tenancies given at the time of testa de nevil, 1243. Still part of honour of totton (reichel, 1914).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326150.

Farmhouse, 16th century and 17th century. Stone rubble, partly colourwashed and rendered, delabole slate roof. Formerly thatched. Three stone stacks. Original plan was probably 3-room and through passage. In the 17th century the house was rebuilt in part. In the 18th and 19th century the rear right wing was probably truncated and re-roofed as a 2-storey lean-to which includes a woodstore, dairy and stair. Two storeys. Glazed porch is 20th century. Some granite mullioned windows are 17th century, one small lead casement is also 17th century other casements are 20th century. Initial r. P. Carved on window frame (doe).


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One (Monograph). SDV1312.

Cannonbarn is canbarn in 1535 in the valor ecclesiasticus. It was a grange belonging to the canons of plympton priory (gover et al).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951, SX48NW2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV239880.

Cannonbarn, manor house. The house appears to have so many ancient features that it would seem correct to say that it is intact. The walls are built with rag-stone and the eastern half is now faced with cement. Two large granite window frames, on the south side of the house are in perpendicular style and are very similar to those in St George's Church, Thrushelton and may well be contemporary. The windows within the frames are diamond leaded. The dripstone of one of the frames carry the letters r and p, which are the initials of Robert Prescott, an early lord of the manor. The house is said to be 14th century. Many original internal features are retained, including ancient oak beams and a granite fireplace partly covered with plaster. The original oak-panelling is said to have been removed many years ago to Sydenham. Site visit, 01/05/1951 (oral from current owner).

The Church of St George, probably erected by the cannon on Plympton, in the early 14th century, is a small edifice in the perpendicular style. This information from Kelly's Directory gives added weight to the 14th century date suggested for Cannonbarn, as the style of the granite window frames and dripstones are very similar in both buildings. Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1910 and personal comment, 10/05/1951.

Cannon Barn (formerly Canon Barn). A farmhouse of rubble construction with a cement rendered, partly slate hung frontage. The two four-light mullioned windows suggest that the core is of a 16th century, not 14th century date. Site visit, oral, 01/01/1973.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Name: CANNONBARN FARMHOUSE
List entry Number: 1326362
Grade: II
Date first listed: 14 June 1952

Farmhouse. C16 and C17. Stone rubble, partly colourwashed and rendered, Delabole slate roof gabled at ends, formerly thatched. 3 stone stacks, 2 rendered, 1 projecting with set-offs at the left gable end. The original plan was probably 3- room and through passage of which 1 heated room and the passage survive. In the C17 the house was rebuilt beyond the passage under a higher roofline, with a hall heated from a stack backing on to the passage and a heated inner room. The inner room is gabled out to the front and the rear, the rear gable may represent the stub of a wing. A first floor doorway suggests that there was originally a rear projection or wing to the rear of the hall. In the C18 or C19 the rear right wing was probably truncated and re-roofed as a 2-storey lean-to which includes a woodstore, dairy and stair. The rear door of the through passage is blocked and the floor level has been raised. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2:2 window front, gabled to the front on the right- hand, the gable slate-hung to the first floor. C20 glazed porch to the front door which leads into the passage. Further C20 entrance on front at left with a late C20 lean-to porch. The hall and inner room have 4-light C17 granite mullioned windows with king mullions and hollow-chamfered subsidiary mullions. The hoodmoulds have carved label stops, the hall window label stops carved with "R.P.". Diamond leaded panes to the stone windows. The hall window has 1 small lead casement which is probably C17. The first floor windows are 2-light C20 casements with glazing bars. Interior The ground floor room left has 3 massive chamfered cross beams, probably C16, with diagonal stops and chamfered joists with ogee stops. The C20 fireplace may conceal an earlier lintel. The narrow passage has large unmoulded beams and the blocked rear door has a chamfered lintel. A C20 partition to the rear of the hall forms a passage to the inner room. C20 fireplace to the hall, possibly concealing earlier jambs and lintel. The inner room has large fireplace with bead-moulded jambs and lintel. 2 good moulded stopped timber doorways: 1 to the inner room (ground floor) and 1 to the first floor. A chamfered stopped doorway leads to the room above the dairy and suggests that there was a former 2-storey rear wing or projection. Principals visible in first floor rooms appear to be straight. Roofspace not inspected.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback.
SDV239880Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951. SX48NW2. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV239881Migrated Record:
SDV239882Migrated Record:
SDV239883Migrated Record:
SDV239884Migrated Record:
SDV2639Migrated Record: REICHEL, 1914.
SDV326150Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 29 2018 10:35AM