HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV39107
Name:The Boathouse on Kiln Quay, Riverside Road West, Newton Ferrers.

Summary

The 'Boathouse' is first depicted on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of between the 1880’s-90’s, on 'Newton Quay', Newton Ferrers. It is not visible on, and so post-dates the parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48. It remains extant on the Ordnance Survey 2015 MasterMap.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 545 478
Map Sheet:SX54NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton and Noss
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishNEWTON FERRERS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX54NW/73
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LODGE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV158549.

Doe/hhr:newton and noss/(19/7/1984)58.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV333267.

The boathouse or kiln quay, riverside road west, newton ferrers. Former estate boathouse and lodge to the revelstoke estate, situated on its own quay on newton creek. Circa 1880-90. Probably by george devey's office. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate half-hipped roofs. Two storeys. Asymmetrical on plan with half-hipped gabled wing projecting on south side facing creek, with triangular oriel with hipped roof. Segmentally arched window openings with wooden mullion-transom casements with leaded panes, and hipped dormers. Single storey boathouse at west end with slightly lower roof level and with segmentally arched doorway at west end with large double doors. Wrought iron weather-vane on the ridge. The east end facing up the creek has a half-hipped jettied and roughcast gable with oriel, above a sliding boathouse door to beach. To right a pentice roof over a small doorway raised up to above high water level. Red brick shafted chimney stacks (doe).


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

It is not visible on, and so post-dates the parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The 'Boathouse' is first depicted on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of between the 1880’s-90’s.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

It remains extant on the Ordnance Survey 2015 MasterMap.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV158549Migrated Record:
SDV333267Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90114 ]
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 6 2015 10:23AM