HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3922
Name:Porch of Abbey Chapel, Tavistock

Summary

Porch of Abbey Chapel in Tavistock, built in the 15th century, with 19th century alterations, and improvements in 1998.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 481 743
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/1/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 93471
  • Old SAM County Ref: 97
  • Old SAM Ref: 29679

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIV to XX - 1400 AD to 1998 AD (Between))

Full description

Radford, G. H., 1914, Tavistock Abbey, 153 (Article in Serial). SDV256400.

15th century porch of the Abbot's Hall at Tavistock Abbey. The porch roof is vaulted and bears the abbey arms on one of the bosses. Above is another chamber which was used as a larder by the Bedford Hotel in the yard of which it stands. The Abbot's Hall still exists and was used as a Unitarian chapel. An early window can be traced in one wall but all other details have vanished though the vaulted roof is reported to remain covered by the modern ceiling. The porch has battlements and turrets at the corners. Said to be later addition to the hall. It is of granite, which was not used in the early buildings. It may be one of the additions to the abbey documented in the early 16th century.


Radford, E. L., 1932 - 1933, The Buildings of Tavistock Abbey after the Dissolution, 196,200 (Article in Serial). SDV249296.


Hicks, C. E., 1947, Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries, 155-8; plate 10 (Article in Serial). SDV256401.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tavistock Town Walk, 91 (Article in Monograph). SDV352474.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1991, Archaeological Assessment of Four Areas of Land Adjoining the River Tavy and Plymouth Road, Tavistock, 6; figure 2, plate 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV256444.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 34 (Monograph). SDV354806.

The former abbey chapel has been a non-conformist chapel for many years. Substantial restoration has enabled it to survive as one of the best preserved parts of the abbey. It was the misericord, originally used as the infirmary dining room and later as a dining room by the monastic community as a whole rather than the adjacent refectory. The original entrance was through the tower porch. This entrance was blocked in 1845 and replaced by a granite archway in the eastern wall of the building. This archway once formed part of the nearby Water Gate.


Freeman, M. + Wans, J., 1996, Tavistock Abbey: Alternative Interpretations, 17-34 (Article in Serial). SDV249301.


Salvatore, J. P., 1999, 144445. (Personal Comment). SDV256388.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2001, Tavistock Abbey (Schedule Document). SDV344375.

Tavistock Abbey includes part of the standing, ruined and buried remains which together encompass the greater part of the abbey. It is sited in the centre of the town on the north side of the River Tavy. The monastic infirmary hall or possibly the Abbot's Hall (it is now commonly known as the Abbey Chapel) has the character of a large Medieval open hall and it was entered from the north by a two storied porch; the building has been in use as a non-conformist chapel since the 17th century. The porch tower (Abbey Porch) of two stories, which is a Grade I Listed Building, was added to the north façade of Abbey Chapel in the late 15th or early 16th century. The entrance of the porch was on the north side and its outer arch is fitted with a massive granite frame which was infilled with rubble in the 19th century.


Gibbons, P., 2001, Tavistock Abbey: Christian Brethren Chapel Tower Archaeological Watching Brief, 107 (Report - Watching Brief). SDV256461.

The square porch tower projects from the east end of the north face of the Abbey Chapel by circa 5 metres and is offset to the east by 0.98 metres. A watching brief was undertaken during improvements and repairs to the tower in 1998. The south-east corner of the tower had been rebuilt up to the eaves with the crenellated parapet being a more recent 19th century addition. The original moulded Hurdwick stone string course survived on the west face. Finds in the excavated part of the graveyard included three sherds of Medieval pottery and fragments of medieval and Post Medieval floor and roof tiles.


Blaylock, S. R., 2001, Tavistock Abbey: Further Recording of the Standing Fabric (Report - non-specific). SDV256395.

Feature included in the 2001 digital survey of the standing remains at Tavistock Abbey and in the further recording of the chapel.


Clelland, S., 2007, Proposed Function Room and Lift Installation, Bedford Hotel, Tavistock, Devon: Archaeological Trial Pit Evaluation Report, 1-3, 9; figures 1-5 (Report - Evaluation). SDV347329.

An archaeological trial pit evaluation was undertaken on land at the Bedford Hotel in order to provide physical evidence for the presence or absence of archaeological remains within the proposed development area, situated in a small courtyard between the Bedford Hotel and Abbey Chapel, and to establish the probable extent, character, date, condition and quality of any, if present. The results of this archaeological evaluation revealed that a substantial degree of demolition and levelling occurred during the post-medieval and modern periods, and there were no surviving remains pertaining to Tavistock Abbey.


West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan, 11, 21 (Report - non-specific). SDV351411.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Porch to Abbot's Hall in Grounds of Bedford Hotel [formerly listed as Porch to Abbot's Hall (Dairy of Bedford Hotel)]. Late 15th or early 16th century. Probably a later addition to the Abbot's Hall. Square two-storey granite tower with angle pinnacles. Archway leading to Unitarian Chapel now blocked. Good vault to porch with carved bosses. Scheduled Ancient monument.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV249296Article in Serial: Radford, E. L.. 1932 - 1933. The Buildings of Tavistock Abbey after the Dissolution. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 17. Unknown. 196,200.
SDV249301Article in Serial: Freeman, M. + Wans, J.. 1996. Tavistock Abbey: Alternative Interpretations. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 128. A5 Paperback. 17-34.
SDV256388Personal Comment: Salvatore, J. P.. 1999. 144445.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Unknown.
SDV256395Report - non-specific: Blaylock, S. R.. 2001. Tavistock Abbey: Further Recording of the Standing Fabric. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.82. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV256400Article in Serial: Radford, G. H.. 1914. Tavistock Abbey. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 46. A5 Hardback. 153.
SDV256401Article in Serial: Hicks, C. E.. 1947. Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 155-8; plate 10.
SDV256444Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1991. Archaeological Assessment of Four Areas of Land Adjoining the River Tavy and Plymouth Road, Tavistock. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 91.33. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6; figure 2, plate 4.
SDV256461Report - Watching Brief: Gibbons, P.. 2001. Tavistock Abbey: Christian Brethren Chapel Tower Archaeological Watching Brief. Paul Gibbons Associates. 107. A4 Stapled + Digital. 107.
SDV344375Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2001. Tavistock Abbey. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV347329Report - Evaluation: Clelland, S.. 2007. Proposed Function Room and Lift Installation, Bedford Hotel, Tavistock, Devon: Archaeological Trial Pit Evaluation Report. Wessex Archaeology Report. 67050.03. A4 stapled + Digital. 1-3, 9; figures 1-5.
SDV351411Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan. West Devon Borough Council Report. a4 Stapled + Digital. 11, 21.
SDV352474Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tavistock Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 91.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 34.

Associated Monuments

MDV43876Part of: Abbey Chapel, Forecourt Wall and Piers, Tavistock (Building)
MDV3919Part of: Tavistock Abbey (Monument)
MDV43870Related to: Tavistock Abbey Church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5091 - Archaeological Trial Pit Evaluation at the Bedford Hotel, Tavistock

Date Last Edited:Feb 12 2015 12:22PM