HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3925
Name:Town Corn Mill, Tavistock

Summary

Site of a watermill built outside the Abbey precincts, on the site of the present Town Hall. It was supplied with water from a leat called the Millbrook. Shown on mid 18th century town plan.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 481 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/1/5

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CORN MILL (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))
  • WATERMILL (Early Medieval to XVIII - 1066 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Hicks, C. E., 1947, Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries, 165 (Article in Serial). SDV256401.

Two grist mills were worked by the millstream which arose at the weir at Parkwood. One was in Bedford Street, between the entrance to St Matthew's Street and the Higher Gate.


Finberg, H. P. R., 1947, The Borough of Tavistock: Its Origin and Early History, 136 (Article in Serial). SDV344360.

A new mill was built outside the abbey precincts, on the site of the present Town Hall, to cater for the expanding population of the borough. It was supplied with power from an artificial channel called the Mill-brook, the water being drawn off from the Tavy by means of a weir in Parkwood. The channel from the Fishlake was diverted into it just outside the abbey gateway, and the Mill-brook then drove both mills.


Freeman, M. + Wans, J., 1996, Tavistock Abbey: Alternative Interpretations, 30 (Article in Serial). SDV249301.

In the 16th century mill leases, as well as a corn mill 'intra portam' there was also a mill 'extra portam' just to the north. In the 18th century there were three corn mills by the Fishlake, and a malt mill at the east end of Lower Brook Street.


Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 30: 24 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

There is some doubt as to the exact location of the mills.


Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 228 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.


Mettler, A.E., 2010, Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752, 29 (Monograph). SDV350389.

F5: Three corn mills, including one adjoining Drakes House in Bedford Street (T14).


The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project, 2012, Tavistock 1752, F5 (Website). SDV350360.


Department of Environment, 24/08/1989, Crediton, 51 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350806.

In the 12th century, with the creation of the borough of Tavistock, the town was given its own corn mill which stood on the site of the Town Hall. A new leat was cut to supply it with water from the River Tavy about a mile upstream. Called the Mill Brook, this flowed through the Parkwood area, where it was to serve other mills, and into the town.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV249301Article in Serial: Freeman, M. + Wans, J.. 1996. Tavistock Abbey: Alternative Interpretations. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 128. A5 Paperback. 30.
SDV256401Article in Serial: Hicks, C. E.. 1947. Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 165.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 30: 24.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 228.
SDV344360Article in Serial: Finberg, H. P. R.. 1947. The Borough of Tavistock: Its Origin and Early History. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 136.
SDV350360Website: The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project. 2012. Tavistock 1752. http://www.tavistock1752.co.uk/index.cfm. Website. F5. [Mapped feature: #90197 ]
SDV350389Monograph: Mettler, A.E.. 2010. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Paperback Volume. 29.
SDV350806List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 24/08/1989. Crediton. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Stapled. 51.

Associated Monuments

MDV3919Part of: Tavistock Abbey (Monument)
MDV4074Related to: Corn Mill, Tavistock Abbey (Monument)
MDV19146Related to: Mill Brook, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV3924Related to: Tavistock Abbey Mill (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2015 10:05AM