HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3944
Name:Well House, off Callington Road

Summary

A medieval well housed in a small building, built to supply Fitzford. Square stone rubble structure about eight feet high, dated 1568, but reconstructed recently.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 474 739
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/10
  • Old Listed Building Ref: 93412

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WELL HOUSE (XVI - 1568 AD to 1568 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Well (Covered)' shown. Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX47SE8 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV350160.

Site visit on 10th July 1950. The well is housed in a small square stone building. Entrance is by a small low door over which is a tablet with the Fitz family arms and the words 'John Fitz of Fitzford Built this 1568'.

A spring housed in a small building, erected by Sir John Fitz to supply Fitzford. The spring is now dried up and the building dilapidated. TDA 107, 1975, 44.


Brown, T., 1975, Holy and Notable Wells of Devon. Part VII, 44 (Article in Serial). SDV338441.

At Boughthayes, now a council estate, a small building erected by Sir John Fitz, to supply Fitzford. Slate plaque with name, date and Fitz arms. Spring dried up and building dilapidated.


National Monuments Record, 2012, 437971 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV350161.

A medieval well housed in a small building to supply Fitzford.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Dated 1568 but reconstructed recently. Square stone rubble structure about 8 feet high with flat concrete roof. Granite arched doorcase. Provided by John Fitz of Fitzford House.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338441Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1975. Holy and Notable Wells of Devon. Part VII. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 107. Unknown. 44.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350160Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX47SE8. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV350161National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2012. 437971. National Monuments Record Database. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2018 2:45PM