HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV39495
Name:Farmhouse at Addislade, Dean Prior

Summary

Farmhouse at Addislade dating to at least the 17th century, although may be earlier. It is possible that the original form of the house was as a medieval open hall house. Two phases of major renovation during the 17th century, creating a large and high quality farmhouse. Largely unaltered in modern times. Renovations in the early 21st century included bringing the granary wing back into use as domestic accommodation and restoring the scantle tile roof with grant aid from English Heritage.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 715 640
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDean Prior
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDEAN PRIOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76SW/156
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 99254

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • OPEN HALL HOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1550 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

House is shown on the Tithe Map; 845 on the apportionment 'House and Courtlage', Addishlade Estate.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The farmhouse is depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (approximately 1880s in date) in much the same form as existing. Some further additional structures are depicted on the south-eastern side of the farmhouse.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The farmhouse is depicted on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map (approximately 1905-7 in date) and the additional structures depicted on the south-eastern side of the farmhouse in the late 19th century map are no longer in existence by this time.


Thorp, J. R. L., 2003, Addislade, Dean Prior, 1-18 (Report - Assessment). SDV347648.

Most of farmhouse is plastered but exposed sections of wall show masonry is predominantly local stone rubble, with small proportion of granite reserved for special use (such as door jambs). Some cob visible in the roofspace. Chimneyshafts were rebuilt in red brick in the 18th and/or 19th centuries. Roof cover is slate with large sections of small peg-slating (scantle slating) bedded in lime plaster, which is an increasingly rare survival. Earthernware ridge tiles include some crested forms that usually date from the late medieval period through to the late 17th century.
Phase 1: the medieval house. The three-room and cross passage plan and differences in the wall thickness between floors at Addislade suggests the house pre-dates the 17th century, and was probably an open hall house, although no earlier dateable evidence was found in the survey.
Phase 2: 17th century farmhouse. Farmhouse, including northern crosswing is the product of at least two building phases in the 17th century which are hard to distinguish. It was a large and smart house by Devon standards and had seven heated rooms and an interesting kitchen with well-preserved industrial scale fireplace complex. A smoking chamber was added to this complex.
Phase 3: early 19th century modernisation. Main feature of this phase was the addition of a new stair rising from the back of the passage, a new rear block to behind the inner room which included a heated first floor chamber and the parlour crosswing was converted at this time to agricultural use. Superficial modernisation of the main block also took place at this time.


McKay, K., 2003, Application for planning permission 665/03 (Correspondence). SDV347650.

Proposal to bring the granary back into its original use as a domestic wing supported. Substantial grant aid received from English Heritage to renew the scantle roof covering. Both of these changes will serve to remove the building from the Buildings as Risk register. Other details: Part of the IDOX planning file.


Thorp, J. R. L., 2005, Recent observations at Addislade, Dean Prior (Report - Survey). SDV347649.

Farmhouse was revisited during building works to assess new discoveries following the stripping of plaster from the walls. Discoveries included:
The crosswing chamber fireplace revealed evidence of mid 17 century painted decoration under the plaster; the oak lintel was painted with a layer of red lead paint, under which the lintel was painted grey with squiggles of white to imitate marble effect.
Eastern first floor window in the north wing of the crosswing revealed a 17th century oak window (previously blocked with masonry). A wrought iron casement frame complete with catch was revealed.
The high alcove in the east end wall of the crosswing looks to be a small fireplace alcove, implying there may have been servant chambers in the roofspace. For full details, see report. Other details: Filed with Addislade main report.


Harper, D., 2011, Geograph (Website). SDV347651.

Beautiful photograph of the farmhouse showing the restored roof and renovated crosswing taken 09/09/2006. Building opened to the public during Heritage Open Days, 2006. Other details: SX7164: Addislade.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Farmhouse dating to the late 16th century with 17th century alterations and additions. Roughcast stone rubble. Bitumenised scantle slate roof with gabled ends. Ridge over higher end and hall has early crested ridge tiles. Three room and through passage plan, with gable end stacks and axial hall stack backing onto passage. Newel stairs originally at rear or lower end of the hall, replaced circa 17th century by gabled stair tower. Gable added to front of higher end, gabled part to through passage and 17th century granary over dairy wing projecting at front of lower end.
Two storeys. Four window range. Circa 17th century gable to left. Two storeyed gabled porch to right of centre with large round arch and early 19th century panelled inner door. 19th century three and four-light casements. Wing projecting at lower end to right has half-hipped roof, external steps to left door in gable end with pigeon-holes above. Left hand return has 17th century doorframe with double ovolo mould and nail-studded door with cover moulds and decorated wrought iron hinges. On opposite north side of wing two timber ovolo moulded windows (one blocked). Kitchen stack at lower end has smoking chamber with round corbelled stone roof complete with stone shelf around base. Interior: Plank and mintum screen between hall and inner room removed. Plain chamfered hall and inner room ceiling beams. Blocked inner room and hall fireplaces. Solid wall between through passage and lower room (kitchen) which is at lower level to passage. Kitchen gable end fireplace is blocked. Roof over hall and higher end entirely clear with four trusses, possibly jointed cruck trusses with morticed apices and morticular threaded purlins which are mostly missing, and lap-jointed dovetail collars which are thin and wavey. Roof over lower end has principals morticed at apices and with two tiers of threaded purlins, one purlin appears to be smoke-blackened. Granary and dairy wing has fireplaces on ground and first floors with ovolo moulded timber lintels with bar stops. Roof has principals with morticed apices and threaded purlins, purlins missing.
A substantial and largely unaltered farmhouse. (Description 1986) Other details: LB UID: 99254.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #90347 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347648Report - Assessment: Thorp, J. R. L.. 2003. Addislade, Dean Prior. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K672. A4 Comb Bound. 1-18.
SDV347649Report - Survey: Thorp, J. R. L.. 2005. Recent observations at Addislade, Dean Prior. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. A4 Unbound.
SDV347650Correspondence: McKay, K.. 2003. Application for planning permission 665/03. Planning Application. Digital.
SDV347651Website: Harper, D.. 2011. Geograph. Website.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77456Part of: Addislade farmstead, Dean Prior (Monument)
MDV39496Related to: Shippon at Addislade, Dean Prior (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5215 - Assessment of farmhouse at Addislade, Dean Prior
  • EDV5216 - Addislade revisited during building works

Date Last Edited:Jan 12 2018 11:43AM