HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3963
Name:Fitzford Gateway, Tavistock

Summary

Sixteenth century gatehouse rebuilt stone by stone in 1871. Now in residential use.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 475 738
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/23/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93481

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GATEHOUSE (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1871 AD (Between))

Full description

Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV263.

Fitzford Gateway. The road passing the building was a continuation of Ford Street, named in a deed of 1390, and led to an old ford across the river Tavy which was replaced about 1540 by West Bridge. The land around was known as Ford in the 15th century and it was there that the Fitz family built their mansion. In 1871 the gateway was restored and converted into a cottage.


Appleton, E., 1866, Archaeological Notes on Tavistock and Neighbourhood, 126 (Article in Serial). SDV256410.


Alexander, J. J., 1937, Proceedings at the 76th Annual Meeting, 12 (Article in Serial). SDV259572.


Department of Environment, 1950, Tavistock UD, 14 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV256437.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950-1977, SX47SE7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV259573.

Fitzford Gateway. Fitzford gatehouse originally 16th century, was rebuilt in 1871 using the original material.

Fitzford at the west end of town, was the seat from the time of Henry VI of the Fitz family; the ancient gateway still remains.

The gatehouse was restored in the 19th century as a dwelling house but it retains much of the original material and architectural features. A tablet set in the southern wall gives 1871 as the date of restoration. 10/07/1950, site visit?


Brown, T., 1959, The Black Dog in Devon, 40; Plate (Article in Serial). SDV46057.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tavistock Town Walk, 91 (Article in Monograph). SDV352474.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 15, 24, Photo (Monograph). SDV354806.

The restored gatehouse is all that survives of the Fitzford mansion.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Fitzford Gatehouse. Sixteenth century and 1871. Fitzford was the seat of the Fitz family from the 15th century to early in the 17th century, (see also Fitz monument in Parish Church). The remains of the mansion were demolished in the mid 19th century. The gatehouse was rebuilt stone by stone in 1871. It is a 3-storey rectangular building with granite ashlar front and local stone at sides and back. Castellated parapet and moulded stringcourses. Carved gargoyles. Four centred granite arch to doorway with oak-leaf carving to spandrels. Inner arch 3 centred. Two and three-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulding. In use as dwellinghouse.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV256410Article in Serial: Appleton, E.. 1866. Archaeological Notes on Tavistock and Neighbourhood. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1. Unknown. 126.
SDV256437List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1950. Tavistock UD. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 14.
SDV259572Article in Serial: Alexander, J. J.. 1937. Proceedings at the 76th Annual Meeting. 69. Unknown. 12.
SDV259573Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950-1977. SX47SE7. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV263Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #90397 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV352474Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tavistock Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 91.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 15, 24, Photo.
SDV46057Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1959. The Black Dog in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 91. 40; Plate.

Associated Monuments

MDV3961Part of: Fitzford Mansion (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2018 2:29PM