HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV39760
Name:The Chantry and Elmfield, Vicarage Hill, Kingsteignton

Summary

Former vicarage now divided into two. A fine example of a large building in the cottage orne style.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 874 729
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingsteignton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/323
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Vicarage marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

Large building marked as Vicar's Hill depicted on 1930s Ordnance Survey map. A smaller building to the north-east is named as the vicarage.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

The Chantry and Elmfield, Vicarage Hill. Former vicarage, divided into 2. Described by the incumbent, Thomas Whipham, as 'nearly built' in 1821. Circa late 19th/early 20th century addition at south east, late 20th century alterations. Roughcast stone with a thatched roof with 2 gables to the entrance front; 2 lateral stacks on the south side, stack to central valley. Described by the Georgian Group as 'in its original form this was one of the very best examples of the cottage orne genre in the country'. Approximately square on plan with corner bows on the garden (west) elevation. 3 rooms wide, 3 rooms deep around a fine full height oval stair well in the centre with a dome. A small entrance hall in the centre to the east leads into the stair well and opposite it, in the centre to the west, is a small sitting room. Flanking the small sitting room are 2 larger principal rooms, oval on plan, probably functioning as a parlour (north) and dining room (south). These 2 rooms are entered from the stair well but sliding doors in the north and south walls of the small sitting room allow the possibility of complete circular access through the stair well and 3 principal west rooms. Access to the principal east rooms (library to the north, probably kitchen to the south) is via the entrance hall. Narrow rooms between parlour and library and kitchen and dining room are of unknown function the latter may have been a butler's pantry. In the late 19th/early 20th century a service wing was added at the south east corner, presumably removing the kitchen to new quarters and upgrading the south east room to an additional sitting room. The division of the house into 2 has obviously interrupted the circulating plan, both on the ground floor and on the first floor where an oval corridor combined with the stair gallery originally gave access to all the first floor rooms. There has been some loss of interior and exterior features in the late 20th century. 2 storeys. Fine 3-bay garden (west) elevation with a thatched verandah, the thatch of the roof carried round the left and right corner bows, the verandah following the profile of the elevation and continuing on the north and south returns. Three 2-leaf glazed arched doors on the ground floor with elaborate iron tracery and stained glass, on the first floor the eaves thatch is eyebrowed over 3 first floor 2-light arched windows with elaborate iron tracery. Cobbles laid in patterns beneath the verandah which was formerly supported on rustic posts with struts, the rafters concealed by twisted rustic branches. Most of the posts have been replaced with squared timber uprights. 3 bay north and south elevations with similar doors and windows, the outer windows on the first floor are blocked and may always have been false windows. The verandah is no longer complete on the north and south sides; on the south side it has been partly removed to accommodate the service wing and altered to incorporate a conservatory; on the north side the easternmost bays have been filled in in the 1980s with plastic windows and doors. Interior : 2-leaf timber Gothick arched inner doors to the entrance hall. Splendid oval stair well with a cantilevered stone stair rising to a stair gallery with cast iron Gothick balusters. The stair well is paved with stone. Leading into the small sitting room off the stair well are the paired oak doors of a circa early 16th century rood screen, said to have been removed from Kingsteignton parish church. The tracery in the doors is filled with painting to imitate stained glass. Plain arched doorways lead from the stair hall into the parlour and dining room (dining room doorway blocked). The small sitting room has a 20th century chimneypiece (possibly concealing the original) and tall timber arched sliding doors to north and south with applied Gothick mouldings, similar mouldings to the shutters. Original marble chimneypieces with Gothick detail survive in both the parlour (north west) and dining room (south west), the dining room chimneypiece is extraordinary in being sited immediately below an original window. Both parlour and dining room have curved panelled doors and original shutters. Some of the bedrooms are especially attractive with plain plaster vaulting to the windows. An outstanding example of a large building in the cottage orne manner combining fine detail with a plan form derived from an 18th century emphasis on showpiece and public rooms. Unlike an 18th century house, however, the garden front with its verandah is separated from the entrance front, providing seclusion for the garden. Date listed: 28th April 1987.


Department of Environment, 28/04/1987, Kingsteignton, 103 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV289967List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 28/04/1987. Kingsteignton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 103.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 5 2012 11:56AM