HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40247
Name:Forder House, Moretonhampstead

Summary

No 50 (Forder House) including outbuilding immediately north-east. Is remarkably intact and has been virtually unaltered since it was built. It is unusual in having interior features of such high quality for a circa 1800 house that still has a single depth plan and a relatively simple exterior. Includes outbuilding at rear: probably late 18th century detached service range. Plastered granite rubble with Belgium clay tile roof with hipped ends. Left-hand end has chimney with brick shaft. Wide cart entrance at centre with timber lintel.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 752 861
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/297
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85080

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • OUTBUILDING (Built, XVIII - 1750 AD to 1799 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1810 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 108 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

No 50 (Forder House) including outbuilding immediately north east.
House. Circa 1800. Whitewashed plastered granite with roughcast front. Bitumen coated slate hipped roof with lead rools to hips and ridge, the front pitch has been reclad in asbestos slates. Wooden plated frieze of eaves to front. Brick chimneystack at either end of main range and another on outer side of rear service wing now within later outshut.
Single depth plan with two principal rooms, one on either side of wide stair hall and with service wing containing kitchen and dairy at the rear of the left-hand dining room, forming an overall L-shaped plan. Further service rooms added in a two-storey outshut on the outer west side of the service wing.
Two storeys and attic. Symmetrical three-window range. Ground and first floor outer windows are tripartite sashes, 12 panes to centre light and four panes to the side lights; ground floor in cambered arched openings. Centre first floor 12-pane sash. Central doorway with Tuscan porch, the columns supporting an entablature with a fluted frieze; the door surround has pilasters and entablature with a fluted frieze and fielded panel reveals; the door has six fielded panels, the top two panels glazed. The side walls are blind, and the rear is also blind except for a tall 18-pane fixed light stair window in moulded frame, and a wide hipped roof dormer alcove at centre. The service wing has late 18th century five-light casement with glazing bars to kitchen on ground floor, small four-pane window to dairy on right and two later 19th century first floor sashes. In the angle there is a small 20th century lean-to outshut with a 20th century cantilevered lavatory chamber above clad in corrugated iron.
Interior: wide central stair hall with fine geometric staircase with open string, stick balusters and inlaid moulded handrail wreathed over a column newel. The balustrade continues over a spacious landing on the first floor. Both the main rooms have good Adam style chimneypieces with festoons, runs and marble surrounds to fine cast iron grates. The fireplaces flanked by round-headed niches. The drawing room to right and the first floor rooms have finely moulded cornices and friezes. The hall and landing have fine modillion cornice with festoons and acanthus leaves. Throughout the house the joinery is complete including moulded doorframes and panelled doors complete with the original brass drop handles. The front windows have panelled internal shutters. In the service wing there are some 18th century two-panel doors which may be reused. The kitchen has a large fireplace and surprisingly it has a wooden chimneypiece with a moulded architrave, fluted frieze and moulded cornice.
Including outbuilding at rear: probably late 18th century detached service range. Plastered granite rubble with Belgium clay tile roof with hipped ends. Left-hand end has chimney with brick shaft. Wide cart entrance at centre with timber lintel.
Interior: fireplace at left (west) end, with chamfered cambered lintel.
Forder House is remarkably intact and has been virtually unaltered since it was built. It is unusual in having interior features of such high quality for a circa 1800 house that still has a single depth plan and a relatively simple exterior.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Forder House is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORD STREET (north side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/147 No. 50,( Forder House)including - 23.8.55 outbuilding immediately north- east GV II
House. Circa 1800. Whitewashed plastered granite with roughcast front. Bitumen coated slate hipped roof with lead rools to hips and ridge, the front pitch has been reclad in asbestos slates. Wooden plated frieze of eaves to front. Brick chimneystack at either end of main range and another on outer side of rear service wing now within later outshut.
Single depth plan with 2 principal rooms, one on either side of wide stair hall and with service wing containing kitchen and dairy at the rear of the left-hand dining room, forming an overall L-shaped plan. Further service rooms added in a 2-storey outshut on the outer west side of the service wing.
2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-window range. Ground and first floor outer windows are tripartite sashes, 12 panes to centre light and 4 panes to the side lights; ground floor in cambered arched openings. Centre first floor 12-pane sash. Central doorway with Tuscan porch, the columns supporting an entablature with a fluted frieze; the door surround has pilasters and entablature with a fluted frieze and fielded panel reveals; the door has 6 fielded panels, the top 2 panels glazed. The side walls are blind, and the rear is also blind except for a tall 18-pane fixed light stair window in moulded frame, and a wide hipped roof dormer alcove at centre. The service wing has late C18 5-light casement with glazing bars to kitchen on ground floor, small 4-pane window to dairy on right and 2 later C19 first floor sashes. In the angle there is a small C20 leanto outshut with a C20 cantilevered lavatory chamber above clad in corrugated iron.
Interior: wide central stair hall with fine geometric staircase with open string, stick balusters and inlaid moulded handrail wreathed over a column newel. The balustrade continues over a spacious landing on the first floor. Both the main rooms have good Adam style chimneypieces with festoons, runs and marble surrounds to fine cast iron grates. The fireplaces flanked by round-headed niches. The drawing room to right and the first floor rooms have finely moulded cornices and friezes. The hall and landing have fine modillion cornice with festoons and acanthus leaves. Throughout the house the joinery is complete including moulded doorframes and panelled doors complete with the original brass drop handles. The front windows have panelled internal shutters. In the service wing there are some C18 2-panel doors which may be reused. The kitchen has a large fireplace and surprisingly it has a wooden chimneypiece with a moulded architrave, fluted frieze and moulded cornice.
Including outbuilding at rear: probably late C18 detached service range. Plastered granite rubble with Belgium clay tile roof with hipped ends. Left-hand end has chimney with brick shaft. Wide cart entrance at centre with timber lintel. Interior: fireplace at left (west) end, with chamfered cambered lintel.
Forder House is remarkably intact and has been virtually unaltered since it was built. It is unusual in having interior features of such high quality for a circa 1800 house that still has a single depth plan and a relatively simple exterior.
Listing NGR: SX7521886180

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 108.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90659 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40246Related to: Garden Railings of Forder House, Moretonhampstead (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 14 2018 3:58PM