HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40249
Name:48 Ford Street (Pitt House), Moretonhampstead

Summary

No 48 (Pitt House) including stable range adjoining north, Ford Street (north side), Moretonhampstead. Circa 1700 probably remodelling of an earlier house with further modifications in circa late 18th century. Pitt House illustrates well the development of the traditional plan to provide the improved accommodation expected by the late 17th and early 18th century. Substantial houses of this period are uncommon in Devon and Pitt House is very intact both internally and externally. The rear elevation is an important as the well proportioned front because it shows clearly the evolution of this interesting house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 752 861
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/295
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 85076

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Built, XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1710 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (Built, XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1710 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 104-105 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

No 48 (Pitt House) including stable range adjoining north, Ford Street (north side), Moretonhampstead. Circa 1700 probably remodelling of an earlier house with further modifications in circa late 18th century. Dressed granite, brought to course, rendered at ends and at rear. Steeply pitched dry slate roof with gabled end, black-glazed ridge tiles and plastered coved eaves cornice. Rendered granite stacks.
The original house was probably a three room and through passage plan with the lower end to right heated by gable end stack, the hall with axial stack backing onto the passage and inner room at higher left end heated by a gable end stack. In circa 1700 the house was heavily remodelled, if not rebuilt, retaining the passage, and reorientating so that the lower (right) room became the parlour and the former inner room to left became the kitchen. Probably the stair tower was also built and a dairy wing added. In 19th century rear lean-tos were also added. Two storeys and attic. Closely spaced seven window front, symmetrical except for doorway which is in bay to right of centre. Original window openings with late 19th century or 20th century four-pane sashes. Doorway to right of centre with wooden Tuscan doorcase with engaged columns and heavy entablature. Original door with fielded panels, middle panels are smaller.
Most of the 18th century internal joinery survives. Former hall has dado with fielded and bolection moulded panelling. Of the 18th century staircase only the top flight from first floor to attic survives. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices in first floor rooms which have 18th century doors with two fielded panels.
Roof structural features. Pitt House shows the development of the traditional plan to provide the improved accommodation expected by the late 17th century and early 18th century. See List for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORD STREET (north side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/143 No. 48,( Pitt House)including - 23.8.55 stable range adjcining north GV II*
House. Circa 1700 probably remodelling of an earlier house with further modifications in circa late C18. Dressed granite, brought to course, rendered at ends and at rear. Steeply pitched dry slate roof with gabled end, black-glazed ridge tiles and plastered coved eaves cornice. Rendered granite stacks with moulded granite caps and thatch weatherings; one at either gable end, the right- hand (east) stack slightly projecting with set; and an axial third stack to right of centre on ridge.
The original house was probably a 3-room-and-through-passage plan with the lower end to right heated by gable end stack, the hall with axial stack backing onto the passage and inner room at higher left end heated by a gable end stack. In circa 1700 the house was heavily remodelled, if not rebuilt, retaining the passage, and reorientating so that the lower (right) room became the parlour and the former inner room to left became the kitchen. It was probably at this time that the stair tower was built at the rear of the hall and a dairy wing at the rear of the kitchen. At this stage the house stall had interconnecting rooms but in circa late C18 a longitudinal passage, in an outshut, was built at the rear, which provided independent access from the hall and parlour via the cross passage which lead to the new rear passage which in turn gave access to the kitchen, dairy and side entrance. A curious feature of the plan is the 2-storey canted bay at the rear of the right-hand end which was probably part of the circa 1700 remodelling. Internally it forms a large alcove and increases the size of both the ground and first floor rooms at this end. In C19 rear leantos were added filling the spaces between this bay and the stair tower and between the stair tower and the dairy wing. 2 storeys and attic. Closely spaced 7-window front, symmetrical except for doorway which is in bay to right of centre. Original window openings with late C19 or C20 4-pane sashes. Doorway to right of centre with wooden Tuscan doorcase with engaged columns and heavy entablature. Original door with fielded panels, middle panels are smaller. Rear: central 2-storey stair tower with hipped roof and large square-headed window opening with later frame. 2 storey canted bay to left with raking roof continued down from main roof, and with later casement, which is blocked below cill. To right a 2-storey service wing with hipped slate roof. The circa late C18 leanto passage outshut is 2 storeys to right of stair tower and single storey to left, and is now enclosed within C20 leantos either side of the stair tower. Attached to the end of the dairy wing to right is a probably late C18 stables with hay-loft above; granite rubble ground floor, possibly originally open-fronted timber-frame first floor now plastered, and facing yard behind the house.
Interior: most of the C18 internal joinery survives. Former hall, to left of cross passage has dado with fielded and bolection moulded panelling, bolection moulded chimneypiece, plastered inside fireplace and with bolection moulded overmantel panel above and flanking panelled cupboards, the right-hand cupboard with rounded head and later glazed doors. This room and left-hand end room, the kitchen has cyma recta moulded ceiling cornice. Of the C18 staircase only the top flight from first floor to attic survives. It is a dog-leg with closed string, square newels, turned balusters and heavy square hand rail with moulded capping. The top balustrade in the attic and the balustrade on landing in front of stair window has serpentine splat balusters. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices in first floor rooms which have C18 doors with 2 fielded panels. Most of the front windows have fielded panel internal shutters.
The roof over the main range has been entirely replaced probably in C20 with soft wood trusses. Only the stair tower roof survives and the roof over the rear service wing which has trusses with morticed apexes and collars lapped on the faces of the principals with square pegs.
Pitt House illustrates well the development of the traditional plan to provide the improved accommodation expected by the late C17 and early C18. Substantial houses of this period are uncommon in Devon and Pitt House is very intact both internally and externally. The rear elevation is an important as the well proportioned front because it shows clearly the evolution of this interesting house.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 104-105.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90661 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40251Related to: Outbuilding north of 48 Ford Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV40250Related to: Railings and Garden Wall, 48 Ford Street, Moretonhampstead (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 14 2018 4:10PM