HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40265
Name:Cross Chapel, Moretonhampstead

Summary

Unitarian, formerly Presbyterian chapel. Dated 1802. Rendered rubble probably granite. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and slight overhang at eaves.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 755 859
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/282
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85056

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL (Built, XIX - 1802 AD to 1802 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 82 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

Unitarian Chapel, Cross Street (south side), Moretonhampstead.
Unitarian, formerly Presbyterian chapel. Dated 1802. Rendered rubble probably granite. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and slight overhang at eaves.
Rectangular single cell plan with entrance on north front under the gallery. The north front has plain corner pilasters with round-headed panels. Central doorway with blind boarded segmental fanlight with segmentally arched canopy and 20th century nail-studded door with cover moulds and wrought iron hinges. Flanked by segmental-headed windows each with original cross mullion-transom frames and leaded panes. Above the door a small recessed tablet inscribed "G. W. /Erected/1802", with hood mould over. Above the tablet a large round-headed window with original frame with radial bars in tympanum. Two similar, but taller, windows on either east and west side and on the opposite south side where the cills are at lower level. The south windows have had frames replaced later in 19th century with stained glass.
Interior not inspected but according to Stell: "the interior has a flat plaster ceiling with a moulded cornice. The north gallery has a panelled front with concave central section, supported by three turned-wood columns perhaps reused from the earlier building; the centre of the front is painted with the name Yahweh in Hebrew characters". Plain high-backed pews in gallery. Fittings: pair of brass early 19th century 6-branch chandeliers. Parliament clock from Bowden Hill chapel, Crediton. East and west windows have red glass borders and sunburst above centre light, early 19th century. In north window on west side a small panel depicting Christ at the last supper. Monument in chapel to Rev John Smethurst, 1859, 42 years minister, "who for nearly the same space of time was also minister of the Unitarian Baptists in this town". The Presbyterian congregation possibly originated in 1662 when Robert Woolcombe became the first minister. In 1687 a house was converted for use of the meeting. About 1692 a new meetinghouse was built on this site and enlarged in 1718. But it became unsafe and was replaced by the existing chapel in 1802. A fragment of the former building survives as part of the boundary wall to the north-west of the burial ground. Since 1818 the Presbyterians have shared their pastor with the Baptists and support a Unitarian ministry. Source: C. Stell's draft for Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments book on non-conformist chapels (Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)).


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Cross Chapel' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 9/121 Unitarian Chapel - GV II
Unitarian, formerly Presbyterian chapel. Dated 1802. Rendered rubble probably granite. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and slight overhang at eaves. ectangular single cell plan with entrance on north front under the gallery. The north front has plain corner pilasters with round-headed panels. Central doorway with blind boarded segmental fanlight with segmentally arched canopy and C20 nail- studded door with cover moulds and wrought iron hinges. Flanked by segmental- headed windows each with original cross mullion-transom frames and leaded panes. Above the door a small recessed tablet inscribed "G.W./ERECTED/1802", with hood mould over. Above the tablet a large round-headed window with original frame with radial bars in tympanum. 2 similar, but taller, windows on either east and west side and on the opposite south side where the cills are at lower level. The south windows have had frames replaced later in C19 with stained glass.
Interior not inspected but according to Stell: "The interior has a flat plaster ceiling with a moulded cornice. The north gallery has a panelled front with concave central section, supported by 3 turned-wood columns perhaps reused from the earlier building; the centre of the front is painted with the name Yaweh in Hebrew characters". Plain high-backed pews in gallery. Fittings: pair of brass early C19 6-branch chandeliers. Parliament clock from Bowden Hill Chapel, Crediton. East and west windows have red glass borders and sunburst above centre light, early C19. In north window on west side a small panel depicting Christ at the Last Supper. Monument in chapel to Rev. John Smethurst, 1859, 42 years minister, "who for nearly the same space of time was also minister of the Unitarian Baptists in this town". The Presbyterian congregation possibly originated in 1662 when Robert Woolcombe became the first minister. In 1687 a house was converted for use of the meeting. About 1692 a new meetinghouse was built on this site and enlarged in 1718. But it became unsafe and was replaced by the existing chapel in 1802. A fragment of the former building survives as part of the boundary wall (q.v.) to the north-west of the burial ground. Since 1818 the Presbyterians have shared their pastor with the Baptists and support a Unitarian ministry. Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.
Listing NGR: SX7552685992

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 82.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90679 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40266Related to: Railings north of Unitarian Chapel, Moretonhampstead (Monument)
MDV40269Related to: The Rectory, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 21 2018 12:24PM