HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40271
Name:26 Cross Street, Moretonhampstead

Summary

Eary 19th century cottage, at one time divided into a pair of cottages, but possibly originally the rear wing of a house which stood on the site of the Wesleyan Chapel. Granite rubble with roughcast front and left (south) end walls. Thatched roof with gabled ends, right-hand end abutting former Wesleyan Chapel has short section of asbestos slate roof.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 754 860
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/278
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85050

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Part of the range of buildings depicted on the Tithe Map along the south side of Cross Street.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 76 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

No 26 Cross Street (south side), Moretonhampstead.
Cottage, at one time divided into a pair of cottages, but possibly originally the rear wing of a house which stood on the site of the wesleyan chapel (qv). Circa early c17. Granite rubble with roughcast front and left (south) end walls. Thatched roof with gabled ends, right-hand end abutting former wesleyan chapel has short section of asbestos slate roof. Stone rubble axial stack to right of centre with rendered brick shaft above ridge. Later small rendered brick stack at left gable end.
Possibly originally the rear wing of a house that stood on the site of the wesleyan chapel. It was later converted into a pair of cottages but is now one house again.2-room plan, the right-hand room the larger; each room heated from central axial stack with back to back fireplaces. There appears to have been a central doorway in front of the stack forming a lobby entry, but this arrangement has been replaced by a doorway at each end of front giving direct entry into each room.2 storeys. Asymmetrical approximately 2/3 window range. Ground floor has c19 plank door at either end, left-hand has small simple wooden hood. The former central doorway now has small c20 fixed light window. C19 3-light casements with glazing bars to ground floor right of centre. Above on first floor is an c18 or early c19 3-light window in partly blocked opening. Blocked window at centre of first floor. Rear (west) walls is granite rubble with slight change in plane and joint in masonry to right of stack suggests some rebuilding at south end. C20 casements at rear except for first floor left which is c19 3-light casement with small panes.
Adjoining at south end, to left of front, is single storey link building to former sunday school built in 1912, and not included. Interior: higher right-hand north room has chamfered cross beam with barred run-out stops. Lower left-hand south room has chamfered unstopped cross beam. Right-hand room fireplace lintel removed and left-hand room fireplace blocked with c20 fireplace. Beside stack on first floor is c17 hanging cupboard with moulded and panelled doors with drawers below and cornice above. Another hanging cupboard beside stack in the other room; early c18 with fielded panel doors, drawers below and cornice above. Roof: roughly hewn collars halved and pegged to face of principals. This is an interesting survival of a c17 back range still retaining its thatched roof. The 2 hanging cupboards inside are a most unusual and remarkable survival. Hanging cupboards as furniture in regular use were unknown until the late c18.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/115 No. 26 - 18.11.80 GV II
Cottage, at one time divided into a pair of cottages, but possibly originally the rear wing of a house which stood on the site of the Wesleyan Chapel (q.v.) Circa early C17. Granite rubble with roughcast front and left (south) end walls. Thatched roof with gabled ends, right-hand end abutting former Wesleyan Chapel has short section of asbestos slate roof. Stone rubble axial stack to right of centre with rendered brick shaft above ridge. Later small rendered brick stack at left gable end. Possibly originally the rear wing of a house that stood on the site of the Wesleyan Chapel. It was later converted into a pair of cottages but is now one house again.
2-room plan, the right-hand room the larger; each room heated from central axial stack with back to back fireplaces. There appears to have been a central doorway in front of the stack forming a lobby entry, but this arrangement has been replaced by a doorway at each end of front giving direct entry into each room. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical approximately 2/3 window range. Ground floor has C19 plank door at either end, left-hand has small simple wooden hood. The former central doorway now has small C20 fixed light window. C19 3-light casements with glazing bars to ground floor right of centre. Above on first floor is an C18 or early C19 3-light window in partly blocked opening. Blocked window at centre of first floor. Rear (west) walls is granite rubble with slight change in plane and joint in masonry to right of stack suggests some rebuilding at south end. C20 casements at rear except for first floor left which is C19 3-light casement with small panes.
Adjoining at south end, to left of front, is single storey link building to former Sunday School built in 1912, and not included.
Interior: higher right-hand north room has chamfered cross beam with barred run-out stops. Lower left-hand south room has chamfered unstopped cross beam. Right-hand room fireplace lintel removed and left-hand room fireplace blocked with C20 fireplace. Beside stack on first floor is C17 hanging cupboard with moulded and panelled doors with drawers below and cornice above. Another hanging cupboard beside stack in the other room; early C18 with fielded panel doors, drawers below and cornice above. Roof: roughly hewn collars halved and pegged to face of principals. This is an interesting survival of a C17 back range still retaining its thatched roof. The 2 hanging cupboards inside are a most unusual and remarkable survival. Hanging cupboards as furniture in regular use were unknown until the late C18.
Listing NGR: SX7543386033

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 76.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90686 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40256Related to: 26 Ford Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV40272Related to: Former Weslyan Chapel, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 21 2018 1:02PM