HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40363
Name:Southwood Farmhouse, Christow

Summary

Farmhouse with late Medieval origins, remodelled and extended in the 17th century; rear lean-to probably 19th century, extended by a 20th century conservatory. Rendered cob on stone rubble footings; thatched roof, half-hipped at left end, gabled at right end, rear wing half-hipped at end. Two room and through passage plan with a rear right wing forming an overall L. Originally an open hall house. Interior has good 16th and 17th century carpentry and other features. Group value with three 17th century farmbuildings.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 834 860
Map Sheet:SX88NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88NW/68/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS PASSAGE HOUSE (Built, Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1949, St. Thomas Rd, 32 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336476.

Southwood Farm. 17th century. Two storeys. L-shaped. Cob with thatched roof external chimney. On old barn door has been carved, the initials of former occupiers or labourers. The oldest is L. H. 1706; and the next W. T. 1733. This may be a Grade II house on interior. Originally listed Grade III.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 109 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed crucks recorded.


Department of Environment, 1988, Christow, 87 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV308409.

Farmhouse. Late medieval origins, remodelled and extended in the 17th century, datestone of 1742 on front; rear lean-to probably 19th century, extended by a 20th century conservatory. Rendered cob on stone rubble footings; thatched roof, half-hipped at left end, gabled at right end, rear wing half-hipped at end; projecting right end stack, axial stack, both with rendered shafts.
Plan: 2 room and through passage plan with a rear right wing forming an overall l. Originally an open hall house (apex of roof not inspected but said to be sooted from end to end) presumably divided by low screens. When the house was floored, probably in the late 16th/17th century the hall stack was added, backing on to the passage creating a hall/kitchen at the higher end and the lower end was remodelled as a parlour. The rear right wing may have been added at the same date providing 2 ground floor service rooms with accommodation over. The rear lean-to with a corrugated iron roof, now a kitchen, was probably a 19th century dairy addition.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3 window front, the eaves thatch gabled over 3 first floor late 18th century or 19th century 2-light casements with glazing bars, 4 similar ground floor windows. Good probably 17th century chamfered square-headed oak doorframe to front door to passage to right of centre, 19th century plank front door. Nowy headed plaster frame to date of 1742 with initials GB above front door. The rear wing has a first floor 3-light 17th century timber mullioned window in the end wall, the mullions chamfered on the inside; smaller 2-light timber mullioned window to first floor on inner return wall of wing.
Interior: good survival of 16th and 17th century carpentry and other features. Late medieval rear oak doorframe to through passage with a shouldered arch, chamfered jambs and lintel and a massive plank and stud door. The ashlar granite of the rear of the hall/kitchen stack is exposed in the passage with a granite cornice and a short section of plank and muntin screen forms the remainder of the hall/cross passage partition. The partition to the lower end room is incomplete but has chamfered muntins with pyramid stops on the passage side. The hall has chamfered stopped crossbeams and an open fireplace with granite monolith jambs, a chamfered lintel and a bread oven: a straight stair rises against the rear wall of the hall. The lower end room has an open fireplace with rounded jambs and a timber lintel; a chamfered stopped crossbeam and chamfered stopped joists. The first floor retains some early plaster and a square-leaded doorframe and 17th century plank door.
Roof: no access to apex of roof at time of survey (1987) but side pegged jointed crucks with cambered collars mortised into the principals are visible on the first floor and sooted thatch was discovered from end to end of the main block when the house was re-thatched and some rafters to the front of the ridge replaced (information from owner). The rear wing appears to have trusses with straight principal rafters.


Griffiths, F. M., 1990, DAP/PS, 11-15 (Aerial Photograph). SDV307486.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Building is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1097811 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

CHRISTOW FOXHOLE HILL (off), Christow SX 88 NW 2/112 Southwood Farmhouse GV II
Farmhouse. Late medieval origins, remodelled and extended in the C17, datestone of 1742 on front ; rear lean-to probably C19, extended by a C20 conservatory. Rendered cob on stone rubble footings; thatched roof, half-hipped at left end, gabled at right end, rear wing half-hipped at end ; projecting right end stack, axial stack, both with rendered shafts.
Plan: 2 room and through passage plan with a rear right wing forming an overall L. Originally an open hall house (apex of roof not inspected but said to be sooted from end to end) presumably divided by low screens. When the house was floored, probably in the late C16/C17 the hall stack was added, backing on to the passage creating a hall/kitchen at the higher end and the lower end was remodelled as a parlour. The rear right wing may have been added at the same date providing 2 ground floor service rooms with accommodation over. The rear lean-to with a corrugated iron roof, now a kitchen, was probably a C19 dairy addition.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3 window front, the eaves thatch gabled over 3 first floor late C18 or C19 2-light casements with glazing bars, 4 similar ground floor windows. Good probably C17 chamfered square-headed oak doorframe to front door to passage to right of centre, C19 plank front door. Nowy headed plaster frame to date of 1742 with initials GB above front door. The rear wing has a first floor 3- light C17 timber mullioned window in the end wall, the mullions chamfered on the inside; smaller 2-light timber mullioned window to first floor on inner return wall of wing.
Interior: Good survival of C16 and C17 carpentry and other features. Late medieval rear oak doorframe to through passage with a shouldered arch, chamfered jambs and lintel and a massive plank and stud door. The ashlar granite of the rear of the hall/kitchen stack is exposed in the passage with a granite cornice and a short section of plank and muntin screen forms the remainder of the hall/cross passage partition. The partition to the lower end room is incomplete but has chamfered muntins with pyramid stops on the passage side. The hall has chamfered stopped crossbeams and an open fireplace with granite monolith jambs, a chamfered lintel and a bread oven : a straight stair rises against the rear wall of the hall. The lower end room has an open fireplace with rounded jambs and a timber lintel ; a chamfered stopped crossbeam and chamfered stopped joists. The first floor retains some early plaster and a square-leaded doorframe and C17 plank door.
Roof: No access to apex of roof at time of survey (1987) but side pegged jointed crucks with cambered collars mortised into the principals are visible on the first floor and sooted thatch was discovered from end to end of the main block when the house was re-thatched and some rafters to the front of the ridge replaced (information from owner). The rear wing appears to have trusses with straight principal rafters. Group value with 3 C17 farm buildings.
Listing NGR: SX8347586086

Sources / Further Reading

SDV307486Aerial Photograph: Griffiths, F. M.. 1990. DAP/PS. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 11-15.
SDV308409List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Christow. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 87.
SDV336476List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1949. St. Thomas Rd. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 32.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 109.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90739 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1097811.

Associated Monuments

MDV22137Part of: Southwood farmstead, Christow (Monument)
MDV40364Related to: Outbuilding at Southwood Farm, Christow (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 23 2017 12:53PM