HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40383
Name:Engine house, Wheal Exmouth Mine, Christow

Summary

Former engine house situated 140 metres south of Canonteign Barton. Built in 1853, its unusually ornamental, classical style is due to the fact that it was originally visible from Canonteign House.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 837 830
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/34/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ENGINE HOUSE (XIX - 1853 AD to 1853 AD (Between))

Full description

Schmitz, C., 1980, The Teign Valley Silver-Lead Mines 1806-1880, 59, 105 (Article in Serial). SDV351052.

Ornamental engine house and stack erected in 1853 to contain a 70 inch Hocking and Loam engine to pump the adjacent Porter's shaft. The site of the boiler house adjoing the stack. Immediately against the road, a short distance to the north-west are the remains of the ivy-covered stack and engine house of the whim engine (22 inch). To the south lie the remains of the ore linhay.


Greeves, T., 1981, Engine House (Worksheet). SDV351051.

Site visit by T. Greeves and D. Griffiths in 1981. The engine house is a substantial structure, relatively well preserved.


Department of Environment, 1988, Christow, 57 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV308409.

Engine house about 140 metres south of Canonteign Barton. Engine house at Wheal Exmouth lead and barytes mine.1853. Stone rubble with ashlar granite dressings. Unusually ornamental, in a classical style to match the adjacent octagonal ventilation shaft. Plan: rectangular on plan with a large doorway on the south west side, facing the road. Exterior: originally 3 storeys, top storey incomplete. Grand rusticated granite round-headed doorway on south west side with a keystone, rusticated granite quoins. The doorway retains a timber frame with glazing bars, presumably for margin panes and an incomplete 2-leaf arched door with plain panelling. The south east elevation, clad in ivy, with a narrow ground floor doorway and first floor doorway with surviving timber frame, second floor window with 6-pane timber frame. The north east elevation has a round headed ground floor window with ashlar masonry, a keystone and a timber frame with glazing bars; the north west elevation has 2 ground floor windows with segmental arches, ashlar voussoirs and 6-pane timber frames. Wheal Exmouth, operating from the 1850s to 1880, employed 70 underground workers in 1863. The site of the mine was visible from canonteign house, the exmouth family seat built in 1828 but later screened from it by tree planting. The ornate style was presumably employed for the sake of the view from Canonteign House.


Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D., 1996, A Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon, 109-122 (Article in Serial). SDV241746.

Engine house, recently converted to dwelling, 300 yards north-east of Canonteign House. Grandiose architectural style of house designed at insistence of Lord Exmouth to harmonize with nearby manor at Canonteign Barton. Footings of boiler house, large enough to house 3 boilers, adjoin engine house to east. Excavation of boiler house during building's conversion revealed a flue. Orientation suggests that octagonal stack may have been shared by either the 22 inch stamps engine or the 24 inch crusher said to have been working on the mine by 1860. Footings and a smaller decorative stack, recently cleared, to north-west of engine house, are those of 22 inch cylinder winding engine (erected in 1854-5). According to 1858 plans, the decorative top of the round stack mimicked that of the octagonal stack, the top of which has long since fallen. Footings of entire whim house survive. Boiler house door, leading to a boiler house large enough for single boiler, lay on north side.


Nance, R. D., 1996, Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon (Report - Assessment). SDV222663.


Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D., 1996, Wheal Druid and the Engine Houses of Dartmoor, 4-6 (Article in Serial). SDV340907.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Engine House about 140 metres south of Canonteign Barton. Engine house at Wheal Exmouth lead and barytes mine. 1853. Stone rubble with ashlar granite dressings. Unusually ornamental, in a classical style to match the adjacent octagonal ventilation shaft (q.v.). Plan: Rectangular on plan with a large doorway on the south west side, facing the road. Exterior: Originally 3 storeys, top storey incomplete. Grand rusticated granite round-headed doorway on south west side with a keystone, rusticated granite quoins. The doorway retains a timber frame with glazing bars, presumably for margin panes and an incomplete 2-leaf arched door with plain panelling. The south east elevation, clad in ivy, with a narrow ground floor doorway and first floor doorway with surviving timber frame, second floor window with 6-pane timber frame. The north east elevation has a round headed ground floor window with ashlar masonry, a keystone and a timber frame with glazing bars ; the north west elevation has 2 ground floor windows with segmental arches, ashlar voussoirs and 6-pane timber frames. Wheal Exmouth, operating from the 1850s to 1880, employed 70 underground workers in 1863. The site of the mine was visible from Canonteign House (q.v.), the Exmouth family seat built in 1828 but later screened from it by tree planting. The ornate style was presumably employed for the sake of the view from Canonteign House.


Brown, K., 29/07/1989, Kew Bridge Engine Trust (Correspondence). SDV351073.

The last complete Cornish engine house surviving in Devon. Probably the largest ever built in Devon. On removal of the engine in 1862 the house was conserved to prevent it looking like a ruin. Condition of building now deteriorating.


Ordish, H. G., April 1959, Wheal Exmouth, Canonteign (Photograph). SDV351077.

Three photos of Wheal Exmouth, two showing the 1853 engine house and one of the whim engine house which was partially demolished in 1956.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV222663Report - Assessment: Nance, R. D.. 1996. Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Unknown.
SDV241746Article in Serial: Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D.. 1996. A Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Mining History: Bulletin PDMHS. The Archaeology of Mining and Metallurgy in South-West Britain. 13, Number 2. A4 Paperback. 109-122.
SDV308409List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Christow. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 57.
SDV340907Article in Serial: Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D.. 1996. Wheal Druid and the Engine Houses of Dartmoor. Dartmoor Tin Working Research Group Newsletter. 10. A4 Stapled. 4-6.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV351051Worksheet: Greeves, T.. 1981. Engine House. Worksheet.
SDV351052Article in Serial: Schmitz, C.. 1980. The Teign Valley Silver-Lead Mines 1806-1880. British Mining. 15. Unknown. 59, 105.
SDV351073Correspondence: Brown, K.. 29/07/1989. Kew Bridge Engine Trust. Letter to Royal Albert Memorial Museum. Letter.
SDV351077Photograph: Ordish, H. G.. April 1959. Wheal Exmouth, Canonteign. Photograph (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV9376Part of: Wheal Exmouth Mine, Christow (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 16 2013 11:22AM