HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40405
Name:Outbuilding north of Greenhill House, Moretonhampstead

Summary

The original function of the outbuilding behind Greenhill House is uncertain but it may have been a pair of 18th century cottages that were converted to a stable and coach house in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 754 861
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/302/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85089

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • OUTBUILDING (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 115 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

Outbuilding immediately north of Greenhill House. Original use uncertain but possibly a pair of cottages, reused as stables and coach-house. Probably 18th century, remodelled in circa mid to late 19th century as stables and coach house. Granite rubble with some reused moulded granite material such as roll moulded fragments reused as quoins and jamb stones, and possibly the weathering to offsets and cap to chimneystack. Thatch half-hipped roof. Pair of 1-room cottages heated by single rear lateral stack, and with a pair of entrances at centre of front. Remodelled in mid to late 19th century with stables inserted into left cottage and coach house in right cottage. 2 storeys. 2 window range. Ground floor has original doorway to left of centre, doorway to right of centre converted to window with horizontal sliding sash. Similar left-hand ground floor window. The right-hand ground floor has large carriage entrance with boarded doors, above which is enlarged opening with 2-light casement with glazing bars. The first floor left-hand window is now a loading doorway with boarded doors. Granite lateral stack at rear, within wall, and with offsets either side of ashlar shaft with tapered top with chamfered cap. Blocked opening or rebuilding to right where there is some disturbed masonry. Interior: partition between 2 rooms removed. On back wall a granite chimneybreast with splayed front; the 2 fireplaces therefore on angle, each with an unchamfered timber lintel and dressed granite jambs with some reused roll-moulded stones. Small fireplace in left-hand upper room. Roof space ceiled and roof structure not inspected.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.


Best, J. + Manning, P., June 2007, Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead, Devon, 3 (Report - Evaluation). SDV350009.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 115.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #90780 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350009Report - Evaluation: Best, J. + Manning, P.. June 2007. Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.42. A4 stapled + Digital. 3.

Associated Monuments

MDV40406Related to: Greenhill House, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6010 - Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead (Ref: 07.42)

Date Last Edited:Aug 22 2012 4:10PM