HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40406
Name:Greenhill House, Moretonhampstead

Summary

House probably of early 17th century date or earlier, extended and rearranged in the early 18th century and refashioned and extended again in the mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 754 860
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/302
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85088

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Heath, R. O., 1976, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV350017.

Site visit 13th December 1976. Greenhill House (23 Ford Street), near the church. The earliest foundations are circa 1720. The owner, Samual Lightfoot, a felt maker and leading baptist, built a meeting house on the present site to house baptists. There is a trough (now under the kitchen floor leading to a well). There are many documents and deeds in the possession of the present owner.


Department of Environment, 1987, Moretonhampstead, 114A (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337636.

Greenhill house. House. Probably early17th century or earlier, extended and rearranged in early 18th century (1720 according to R.O. Heath) and refashioned and extended again in circa mid 19th century. Plastered granite rubble. Thatched roof with gabled ends. Rendered gable end chimneystacks, right-hand stack to front range has offsets
Plan: what is now the rear wing was probably the higher end of a 17th century or earlier 3-room plan house, and its gable end stack would have originally heated the inner room and chamber above. In circa early 18th century the house was reorientated and a wing, which is now the main front range, was built at right angles to the lower end where the lateral stack because the gable end stack of the early 18th century range. This early 18th century front range in 2 storeys and attic with a symmetrical 2-room plan with a central through-passage leading to a staircase behind the left-hand room making the left room smaller than the room to the right. In circa mid 19th century the house was refashioned and a flat roof single storey kitchen and scullery addition was built at the rear in the angle of the early18th century front and the earlier wing. 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 2 window range. Rusticated stucco quoins and stringcourse at first floor level. 19th century tripartite sashes with horizontal glazing bars only. Ground floor windows in moulded stucco architraves, the cills on small brackets. Moulded architraves removed from first floor windows. Central doorway with stuccoed pilasters with round-headed panels and later wooden moulded cornice, moulded panel reveals and rectangular fanlight with margin glazing bars. 19th century moulded 4-panel door.2-light attic casements with small panes in gable ends. Rear wing has 19th century 2-light casements with glazing bars, first floor windows break eaves to form eyebrows, the right-hand casement with arched top light. Large flat roof single storey addition in the angle at rear.
Interior: most of the mid 19th century internal joinery etc survives, including panelled doors, moulded doorcases and first flight of staircase with stick balusters and column newel, and simple marble or slab chimneypiece in left-hand room. Chimneypiece in right-hand room replaced but flanked by elliptically headed alcoves. The staircase from the first floor to the attic is 18th century and has moulded string, moulded stick balusters and heavy hand rail. Many 18th century 2-panel doors and 1 cupboard survive on first floor and attic. Also on first floor single c19 chimneypieces with their original iron grates. In rear wing a section of 17th century panelling reused as partition. Mid 19th century rear addition has large kitchen fireplace with bracketed shelf which is flanked by large early 18th century corner cupboards with doric entablatures, giant fluted pilasters and round-arched panelled doors. These cupboards were moved from front of house. Roofs: over early 18th century range the roof space is ceiled but it seems to have retained its original structure. Over the earlier rear wing the roof is also ceiled and there is no access to roof space, but over what might have been the hall there is a high plastered ceiling revealing the shape of the trusses with collars and 1 heavy purlin.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.


Best, J. + Manning, P., June 2007, Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead, Devon, 3 (Report - Evaluation). SDV350009.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337636List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Moretonhampstead. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 114A.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #90781 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350009Report - Evaluation: Best, J. + Manning, P.. June 2007. Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.42. A4 stapled + Digital. 3.
SDV350017Personal Comment: Heath, R. O.. 1976.

Associated Monuments

MDV40405Related to: Outbuilding north of Greenhill House, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV8303Related to: Site of Baptist meeting house, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6010 - Archaeological Evaluation of the Annexe of Greenhill Primary School, Moretonhampstead (Ref: 07.42)

Date Last Edited:Aug 23 2012 9:29AM