HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4043
Name:The old Vicarage, Sheepstor

Summary

House, formerly likely to have been the vicarage or priests house. Dates to the early-mid 16th century with 17th century alterations and 20th century additions. Despite a number of additions this house preserves several interesting features and forms a good group in the centre of the village with the Church and village cross.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 559 676
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/43
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92847
  • Pastscape: 438595

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1550 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Tithe Map.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Marked as 'Priest's House' on the late 19th century historic map.

Copeland, G. W., 1943, Twelfth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 96 (Article in Serial). SDV337004.

Now called The Old Vicarage. It has on the front a stone bearing the date 1658, but there is evidence that the main structure is much older. There is a good circular staircase which is lighted at the rear by a small window. The upper wall is pierced by a round opening which gives a view of the west doorway of the church.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX56NE33, 8/9/1950 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV217111.

Priest's House (22/02/1950)
House standing. Inscription on west face of house reads "16 8", probably 1608. House has been restored and has recent additions (08/09/1950).
Name now changed to "The Old Vicarage" (01/09/1952).

Department of Environment, 1960, Tavistock RD, 21 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV239444.

Plastered rubble with slate roof and plastered stacks. Two storey building with stone mullioned windows and casements granite doorway with four centred head dated 1658 but obviously older.

Waterhouse, R. E., 1991, The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey, 78-79 (Report - Survey). SDV7736.

The Church House is situated attached to the lychgate on the west side of churchyard. Small rendered and whitewashed building, running north/south. Wing on rear accommodating spiral stair with square chamfered window. Two chimneys, both on gables. That on south is larger, and could be the kitchen stack. Extension to south with third gable stack. Datestone of 1658 on front of main block could refer to construction of this. Probably constructed of granite rubble, at present hidden beneath render.
Architectural features: corbels on bases of gable of spiral stair, presumably for supporting coping stones. Another corbel on north gable, lower down. West front has two granite mullioned windows, one in the southern extension with a gothic granite headed door below.

Tingle, M., 2013, Interim report of an archaeological monitoring and recording at, The Old Vicarage, Sheepstor, Devon (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359924.

No archaeological features were observed during the watching brief for the kitchen extension. The only finds bserved in the topsoil were post-medieval sherds dating from the nineteenth and twentieth century.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Modern mapping names the building as 'The Old Vicarage'.

Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 29/11/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

SHEEPSTOR SHEEPSTOR SX 56 NE 18/115 The Old Vicarage (formerly listed as Old Priest's House) 21.3.67 GV II
House, formerly likely to have been the vicarage or priests house. Circa early-mid C16 with C17 alterations and C20 additions. Rendered rubble walls. Slate roof gabled to left end and hipped to right. 2 rendered stacks - one at left end and one axial.
Plan: 3-room-and-through-passage plan with lower end to the right. Hall stack backs onto the passage but this stack may date from a C17 re-modelling, when the newel stairs were added in a projection at the rear of the hall probably marked by the date-stone of 1658. Lean-to additions were made at the rear and the front of the higher end in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front mainly of C20 casements, the 1st floor windows are gabled dormers. To left of centre is circa late C16 or early C17 3-light granite mullion window with hollow chamfer. To right of centre is 4-centred granite arched doorway, hollow-chamfered which is probably original. 2-light granite mullion window above it. To left of this is a date-stone of 1658. C20 lean-to addition in front of left end and lean-to garage built against right end wall, formerly stable. At the rear to right of centre is a large gabled stair projection with granite framed light, in the right-hand wall is a very tiny circular spy-hole looking onto the churchyard. Outshuts to its left and right and a single storey C20 wing at the left-hand end.
Interior: The hall has a granite framed fireplace with chamfered lintel (which is straight) and jambs. In the wall to the rear of the fireplace, no longer an outside wall due to the addition of an outshut, is a single light granite framed window which has a segmental arched head and recessed spandrels on the outside - this is probably the only surviving original window. At the rear of the hall there is a 4- centred granite doorway leading to the stone newel stairs. Adjoining this doorway is an unusual feature: a stone-lined recess with raised floor occupying the space underneath the stairs and with an arched opening - the purpose of which was presumably food storage. At the head of the stairs are 2 adjoining granite doorway in an integral arrangement sharing a jamb, one, however has a segmental head whereas the other is 4-centred. Another 4-centred granite doorway leads from the hall to the inner room.
Despite a number of C20 additions this house preserves several interesting features and forms a good group in the centre of the village with the Church and village cross.
Listing NGR: SX5597967640.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV217111Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX56NE33. Oakford Archaeology. Card Index. 8/9/1950.
SDV239444List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Tavistock RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 21.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337004Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1943. Twelfth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 75. A5 Hardback. 96.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90802 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 29/11/2016.
SDV359924Report - Watching Brief: Tingle, M.. 2013. Interim report of an archaeological monitoring and recording at, The Old Vicarage, Sheepstor, Devon. Peninsula Archaeology. Digital.
SDV7736Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 1991. The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 78-79.

Associated Monuments

MDV99705Related to: K6 telephone kiosk to south of church, Sheepstor (Building)
MDV35838Related to: Lych gate to the west of Sheepstor parish church (Monument)
MDV41534Related to: Old Church House, south of Sheepstor parish church (Building)
MDV4036Related to: Parish Church, Sheepstor (Building)
MDV4044Related to: Sheepstor village cross (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7150 - Watching brief at The Old Vicarage, Sheepstor (Ref: OVS13)

Date Last Edited:Jan 19 2021 11:42AM