HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40548
Name:Middle Mackham Farmhouse, Hemyock

Summary

Mid 17th century farmhouse, possibly incorporating some late medieval roof timbers and partly rebuilt in the 1940s following bomb damage. Of rubble flint with some cob under a gable-ended corrugated iron roof.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 150 098
Map Sheet:ST10NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHemyock
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHEMYOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST10NE/29
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 95696

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XX - 1401 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Hemyock, 24 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV343974.


Child, P., 1999, The Archaeology of Folk Magic (Correspondence). SDV347754.

Shoe hoard from Middle Mackham. Probably early 19th century.


Thorp, J., 2000, Middle Mackham Farm, BH006001-BH006012 (Ground Photograph). SDV350647.


Thorp, J., 2000, Middle Mackham, BH006021-BH006025 (Un-published). SDV350983.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH006.001 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Gable ended farmhouse constructed from random rubble flint, with irregular 4 window front. Built 1641-42, with some rebuilding from 1940's after bomb damage. Cob and rubble stone walls under corrugated iron roof. In good condition.


English Heritage, 2009, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV343599.

Date first listed: 15th April 1987. Middle Mackham Farmhouse. Formerly known as Alexanderhayes. Detached house, formerly a farmhouse. Mid 17th century (there is a reused datestone of 1642), possibly incorporating some late medieval roof timbers, and partially rebuilt in the 1940s after receiving bomb damage. Roughcast random rubble flint with some cob ; gable-end, corrugated-iron roof.
Plan: only the lower end and passage survive of what was originally a 3 or 4-room, through-passage plan house, the lower end to the right of the passage. The higher end was completely rebuilt after the war. A smoke-blackened closed jointed cruck truss survives adjacent to the axial stack, with some blackened purlins, but the remainder of the roof, also of jointed cruck construction, appears to be of the 1642 build. There are 2 lower-end rooms both heated by 1 massive axial stone stack, with a wing standing forward of the extreme right-hand room. Winder stairs in a rear turret. A rebuilt higher-end stone end stack carries the re-used datestone : 'RP 1642'. A brick shaft (serving a boiler) occupies the classic hall stack position - which it probably replaces - backing on to the passage. 2 storeys.
Exterior. Front: irregular 4-window range, the 1940s work much taller with 2 half dormers; all the fenestration is late 20th century. The doorway to the passage retains its ovolo-moulded lintel, the jambs are replaced. The inner face of the front wing with a 3-light window to each floor, 17th century, with deeply chamfered mullions and surround; a similar window survives on the right-hand elevation of the wing. Later loft access to front of wing.
Rear: completely late-20th century fenestration. The first storey of the right-hand end of the main range has been encased in corrugated iron.
Interior: Passage : higher end of stone, with one ovolo-moulded doorway to former hall; service end with another doorway with steeply cranked lintel and chamfered jambs. It is very likely that a plank and muntin screen survives beneath the present plyboard. First service-end room : 2 chamfered, unstopped and a boxed cross ceiling beam. The outer service room with chamfered cross ceiling beam with run-outstops. Both fireplaces are blocked; their combined depth is about 17 feet. Contemporary fielded panel and planked door. Newel stair, entered from ground floor by chamfered doorway with steeply cranked lintel; the solid timber steps survive intact; at the head of the stairs 2 doorways (similar to that just described) lead into the upper rooms, divided by the newel attached to the lower blade of the roof truss. First service-room chamber with fireplace with chamfered and stopped stone jambs, the chamfer carried through the timber lintel.
Roof: 3 jointed cruck trusses, with Alcock type F2 apex carpentry; the diagonal ridge-piece and rafters survive in large part, but no longer carry the present roof. Other details: LBS No. 95696.


Ordnance Survey, 2009, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV341569.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341569Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2009. MasterMap. MasterMap. Digital. [Mapped feature: #90851 ]
SDV343599List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2009. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV343974List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Hemyock. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 24.
SDV347754Correspondence: Child, P.. 1999. The Archaeology of Folk Magic. Letter from Historic Environment Service. A4 Stapled.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH006.001.
SDV350647Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2000. Middle Mackham Farm. Photograph (Digital). BH006001-BH006012.
SDV350983Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2000. Middle Mackham. Digital. BH006021-BH006025.

Associated Monuments

MDV63463Part of: Middle Mackham Farm, Hemyock (Monument)
MDV40549Related to: Barn at Middle Mackham, Hemyock (Building)
MDV70165Related to: Wagon House at Middle Mackham, Hemyock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 12 2013 2:56PM