HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV40650
Name:Radford Headstone

Summary

Radford headstone approx 3m east of chancel of church of st. Mary.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 742 044
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDown St. Mary
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDOWN ST.MARY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/2/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GRAVESTONE (XIX - 1896 AD to 1896 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV334125.

Radford headstone approx 3m east of chancel of church of st. Mary. Headstone. Dated 1896 in memory of rev w t a radford. Bath stone and volcanic stone enriched with polychrome mosaic and enamelwork. Gothic style. Upright stone standing approximately 1 metre high. Moulded plinth of purple volcanic stone. Pointed top with moulded edges and flanking pilasters containing sunken panels with trefoil heads and shaped finials. The top panel contains a relief bottonee cross on a ground of gold and red mosaic which includes an enamel representation of a grail to left. On the right a circular depression from a lost motif. Inscription in lower panel inscribed in victorian gothic lettering and records the death of rev w t a radford in 1889. This is one of a series of unusual headstones which are distinguished by their use of polychrome mosaic. The rev w t a radford was squire, parson, patron and incumbent. For half a century he was one of the most important figures in the high church movement in the diocese of exeter and also had strong and well-informed views on architecture. He was a founder member of the exeter diocesan architectural society. He determined the whole shape of the restoration of the church in which he employed personal friends such as g e street and clayton and bell (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV39876.

Doe/hhr:down st. Mary/(20/11/1986)114.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV334125Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV39876Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV2120Related to: St Mary's Parish Church, Down St Mary (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 3 2006 6:08PM