HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4090
Name:Chapel west of Higher Lumburn Bridge

Summary

Chapel shown on 19th century map to the west of Higher Lumburn Bridge

Location

Grid Reference:SX 452 746
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/47
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94036

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XVIII to XXI - 1800 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Bible Christian Chapel' shown on 19th century map as a rectangular building on the south side of the road to the west of Higher Lumburn Bridge.


Thorne, R., 1975, The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907, 63 (Article in Serial). SDV15286.

Chapel, Mill Hill. School opened 1843.


Griffiths, D. M., 1983, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV342554.

Rectangular stone built building with slate cladding on the east and south walls and a slate roof. Now a Methodist chapel.


Department of Environment, 1987, Gulworthy, 93 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV220874.

Methodist Chapel built in the early-mid 19th century. Granite rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Chapel auditorium on the first floor, with end entrance to right at higher ground level, over a schoolroom in the basement, forming 2 storeys. Side to road and rear have 2 windows, both large casements with arched top lights in stone flat-arched surrounds with stone cills, basement has pair of smaller casement windows and boarded door to left on road side. Small later 19th century porch to right gable end with chamfered round-arched entrance, overlight with Gothic glazing bars and double boarded doors, small projecting outshut to right of porch with boarded door. Interior elliptical arch with pilasters at gable end opposite porch, reading desk set in front of arch, pine pews. Other details: LBS Number 94036.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15286Article in Serial: Thorne, R.. 1975. The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 107. A5 Paperback. 63.
SDV220874List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Gulworthy. Historic Houses Register. Website. 93.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV342554Personal Comment: Griffiths, D. M.. 1983.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 7 2009 1:51PM