HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4092
Name:Couche's Almshouses, Bedford Square, Tavistock

Summary

Couche's Almshouses, on the eastern side of St Eustachius's churchyard, probably built in the 15th century. Removed about 1825 when Bedford Square was formed.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 481 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/49

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ALMSHOUSE (XIV to XVIII - 1400 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Hicks, C. E., 1947, Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries, 158-9 (Article in Serial). SDV256401.

Couche's Almshouses, abutting on the churchyard, shown in survey by John Wynne of 1755. Described as old and inconvenient with no yard. Removed about 1825 when Bedford Square was formed.


Exeter Archaeology, 1997, Archaeological Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflows Scheme, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV344347.

Wynne's map shows the area to the east of the extended churchyard of St Eustachius's church in Tavistock was heavily built up in the mid 18th century. These were all demolished during remodelling of the town in the mid 19th century and no traces of them survive above ground. Couch's Almshouses occupied a site immediately to the east of the church on the edge of the graveyard. These almshouses probably date back to the mid 15th century or before, although the origin of the name is not known.


Mettler, A.E., 2010, Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752, 49 (Monograph). SDV350389.

O9 is described as 'The Parish Almshouses by the Church Yard called Couches Almshouses. O8 and O10 are described as belonging to Couches Almshouses.


The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project, 2012, Tavistock 1752, O8-O10 (Website). SDV350360.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV256401Article in Serial: Hicks, C. E.. 1947. Tavistock: The Changing Scene in the Last Two Centuries. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 158-9.
SDV344347Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 1997. Archaeological Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflows Scheme. Exeter Archaeology Report. 97.02. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV350360Website: The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project. 2012. Tavistock 1752. http://www.tavistock1752.co.uk/index.cfm. Website. O8-O10.
SDV350389Monograph: Mettler, A.E.. 2010. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Paperback Volume. 49.

Associated Monuments

MDV3933Related to: St. Eustachius's Parish Church, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4597 - Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflow Scheme

Date Last Edited:Oct 30 2012 3:04PM