HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV41369
Name:Loxbeare Barton

Summary

Farmstead with 17th century origins.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 912 158
Map Sheet:SS91NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLoxbeare
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLOXBEARE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91NW/14/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XVII to XX - 1601 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

The manor was called lochesbera at the time of the domesday survey. Descents of ownership up to 1600 are given (reichel).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV35599.

Reichel, o. J. /hundreds of devon/(1928-1938)5,9,11,19,21,30/the hundred of tiverton in early times.


Wakeham, C. S., 2007, Archaeological Building Survey and Watching Brief at Loxbeare Barton, Loxbeare, Devon, Fig. 1 (Report - Watching Brief). SDV356370.

The initial impression of the complex is of a planned stockyard of the late 18th/early 19th century. Closer inspection reveals a more complex history, and traces of both earlier and later work survived. The origins of the yard, notably surviving in the stable, and perhaps also the root house, are circa 17th-century. The northern stable wall was probably connected to the eastern end of the farmhouse prior to remodelling in the first half of the 19th century.
Variations in construction, such as the use of varied brick patterns, and different methods of positioning the trusses, indicate more than one construction phase within the pre-1843 layout (which consisted of the larger buildings forming the main quadrangle and the first of the lean-tos on the inner circuit). The mill building was added by 1888, reflecting increasing mechanisation during the late 19th century. Similarly, the use of the stable for cattle reflects, in part, the demise of horsepower during the 20th century. It is also indicative of increasing stock levels, a common factor following WWII.
The final smaller lean-to additions were made during the 20th century, with the northern loose boxes added post 1904 and the concrete frontage to the calf house added during the mid-late 20th century. The last main alteration consisted of the restructuring of what became the cattle shed during the late 20th century. The site, through its continued evolution into the late 20th century, is, in essence, typical of many farmsteads which have survived.
The historic (pre circa 1914) buildings include a large, multi-phased farmhouse overlooking a rectangular garden and courtyard area to the south. This is flanked to the east and west by square farmyards. The eastern yard is the subject of this survey. Nineteenth-century maps indicate former ponds, two to the west of the yard in 1840, and a third possible pond added to the north of the eastern yard by 1888. Numerous watercourses and orchards are shown, together with a number of structures which have now been removed.
The eastern yard is arranged in the form of a quadrangle of adjoining buildings. Before conversion, these included a threshing barn, cattle shed, root house, an L-shaped linhay and stable. Additions had been attached to the stable and threshing barn.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV35599Migrated Record:
SDV356370Report - Watching Brief: Wakeham, C. S.. 2007. Archaeological Building Survey and Watching Brief at Loxbeare Barton, Loxbeare, Devon. Exeter Archaeology. 07.81. A4 Stapled + Digital. Fig. 1.

Associated Monuments

MDV108920Parent of: Calf House at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108909Parent of: Cart Shed at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108922Parent of: Cattle Shed at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV89535Parent of: Farm Buildings Forming the West and South Ranges of the Farmyard to the East of Loxbeare Barton (Building)
MDV12353Parent of: FARMHOUSE in the Parish of Loxbeare (Building)
MDV108918Parent of: Lean-To at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108933Parent of: Lean-To at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108931Parent of: Linhay at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108915Parent of: Looseboxes at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108916Parent of: Mill Building / Shed at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108926Parent of: Open Fronted Lean-To at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108924Parent of: Root House at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108906Parent of: Stable at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)
MDV108911Parent of: Threshing Barn at Loxbeare Barton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 20 2015 1:38PM