HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV41439
Name:Coombeland Farmhouse, Cruwys Morchard


Coomeland Farmhouse probably dates to the early 17th century, originating as a 3-room passage house, being remodelled and extended in th early 19th century.


Grid Reference:SS 908 106
Map Sheet:SS91SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCruwys Morchard
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCRUWYS MORCHARD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SW/74
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)
  • Royal Albert Memorial Museum Accession Number: 178/2008

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Cruwys Morchard (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV340624.

Coombeland farmhouse. 17th century origins, remodelled and extended in the circa mid 19th century. Whitewashed and rendered; slate roofs, hipped at ends; right hand block with projecting front lateral stack with brick shaft, projecting left end stack; axial stack to left hand block.
Plan: 2 adjoining single depth blocks, the left hand block set forward. The right hand single depth block is 17th century in origin with 2 heated rooms, 1 on either side of a straight stair facing the entrance, the right hand room heated by the lateral stack; a small store room adjoins the right end. The 19th century left hand block is also 2 rooms wide, with a central entrance.
Exterior: 2 storeys.3:3 window front with panelled front doors to each block. Attractive regular fenestration of 19th century small pane timber casements.
Interior: the right hand room of the right hand block has a probably re-set 17th century axial beam with narrow chamfers and scroll-stops; large open fireplace with stone rubble jambs and a replaced lintel. The left hand room has a narrow-chamfered scroll-stopped cross beam and a 19th century chimneypiece. The left hand block has 19th century features including a chimneypiece and grate. Charming externally with a very unspoiled interior.

Passmore, A. J., 2008, Archaeological Appraisal of Coombeland, Cruwys Morchard, Devon (Report - Assessment). SDV340625.

Coombeland was constructed as a 3-room and passage farmhouse with the standard layout of service room, passage, hall and inner room. The only surviving datable features are the stops on the beams wich date from the second half of the 16th century through to the mid 17th century. The character of the building with original fireplaces heating the ground floor rooms and the provision of a first floor from the outset indicates a possible early 17th century date. The original roof does not survive and it is suggested it was lost in a fire in the late 18th century, to be replaced by the present roof. The house was extended in the early 19th century and it is possible that the roof of the farmhouse was altered at this date, perhaps from thatch to slate, to complement the roof of the new extension.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340624List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Cruwys Morchard. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound.
SDV340625Report - Assessment: Passmore, A. J.. 2008. Archaeological Appraisal of Coombeland, Cruwys Morchard, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 6521. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV62727Related to: Coombeland Mill, Cruwys Morchard (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4390 - Appraisal of Coombeland, Cruwys Morchard

Date Last Edited:Jul 10 2008 10:46AM