HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4152
Name:Composite cross outside churchyard of St. Peter, Peter Tavy

Summary

Medieval socket stone said to have belonged to a pedestal cross that stood in the roadway near the church and was then used as a coping stone on the church wall 2.7 metres east of the lych gate. This stone has been incorporated into a new village cross and erected in an open area to the south-east of the lych gate at the end of 2000 as a millennium project

Location

Grid Reference:SX 513 777
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57NW/41

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 313 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX57NW21 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV225425.

Cross, near the southern entrance of the churchyard wall of St. Peter, the parish church. Type B. A socket-stone, square in shape, with a chamfered top edge, rests in an inverted position on top of the churchyard wall and serves as a coping stone. The one visible side shows traces of ornamentation in relief, much weathered.
Said to have belonged to a cross that stood upon a pedestal in the roadway, a short distance from the churchyard gate and was removed in the 19th century, as it was an encumbrance in the narrow road. Crossing considers that the five stones that lie on the ground near the churchyard wall, outside the gate, once belonged to the pedestal. He also found a fragment of a possible shaft of a cross built into a wall near the brook that runs through the village. Masson Phillips could not locate this fragment. A cross in the churchyard at the head of a grave on the left of the path near the gate, is a modern copy of the Windypost, exact even to the "weathering" (Citing Masson Phillips, 1937 and Crossing).
(Visited 27/9/1950) The socket stone is 0.8 metres square and 0.3 metres thick, built in to the top of the churchyard wall near the lych gate. Decoration on the side appears to be a quatrefoil design.


Starkey, F. H., 1983, Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks, 126 (Monograph). SDV345128.


Fletcher, M. J., 2000, St Peter, Peter Tavy: the archaeological watching brief of the excavations in the churchyard (Report - Watching Brief). SDV225428.

Medieval socket stone said to have belonged to a pedestal cross that stood in the roadway near the church and was then used as a coping stone on the church wall 2.7 metres east of the lych gate. This stone has been incorporated into a new village cross and erected at grid reference SX51307770 in an open area to the south-east of the lych gate. The socket stone is of granite with relief carving on all four faces. The composite cross was built at the end of 2000 as a Millennium project.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Cross is visible on the aerial photograph.


Richards, A. F., 2016, Comment regarding the listed status of the cross in the churchyard (Personal Comment). SDV163297.

This record appears to have been muddled with the listed cross in the churchyard in Mary Tavy. This cross doesn't appear to have ever been listed.


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape (Website). SDV359354.

The socket stone is built into the churchyard wall 2.7 metres east of the lychgate at SX 51327774. It measures 0.8 metres square and 0.3 metres thick, and if inverted is presumably cut in half. The southern face shows some evidence of decoration or incision and so does the top, neither being very clear (see ground photographs).
A number of stones with lip moulding occur in the west and south walls of the churchyard as coping stones. Probably the remains of the cross pedestal.
Socket stone positioned on 1:2500 MSD (citing Ordnance Survey, 1980)

Sources / Further Reading

SDV163297Personal Comment: Richards, A. F.. 2016. Comment regarding the listed status of the cross in the churchyard. Not Applicable.
SDV225425Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX57NW21. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV225428Report - Watching Brief: Fletcher, M. J.. 2000. St Peter, Peter Tavy: the archaeological watching brief of the excavations in the churchyard. Unknown.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 313.
SDV345128Monograph: Starkey, F. H.. 1983. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Paperback Volume. 126.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital. [Mapped feature: #24642 ]
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108887Related to: Peter Tavy War Memorial, St Peter's Church, Peter Tavy, Tavistock (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 22 2016 10:27AM