HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV41534
Name:Old Church House, south of Sheepstor parish church

Summary

Probable old Church House is of unknown date, but certainly in existence in the early 19th century, when it housed a school room. Replaced by the new school in 1870. Built into retaining bank of south side of churchyard, it is constructed from granite a has a central door with two windows placed either side in south wall on ground floor. Flight of granite steps leads up west gable to churchyard. Landing halfway up originally gave way to a doorway into the first floor, now blocked.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 560 676
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/43/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOLROOM (XIX - 1820 AD to 1839 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 62 (Monograph). SDV359884.

The old Church House, which later became the village hall, is on the south side of the churchyard, by the old cross and stile. This building is likely to be that mentioned in the 1861 census which lists a Mrs Rebecca Williams, schoolmistress, residing in 'the Church House Infant School'. Old documentary sources mention a Dames' school at Sheepstor around the 1820s-30s, and it is likely that it was based here. It was replaced in 1870 by the purpose-built school to the west of the village.


Waterhouse, R. E., 1991, The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey, 78-79 (Report - Survey). SDV7736.

Another building, of possible Church House function, lies to the south of the church. Built into retaining bank of south side of churchyard. Rectangular, aligned east/west. Central door with two windows placed either side in south wall on ground floor. Flight of granite steps leads up west gable to churchyard. Landing halfway up originally gave way to a doorway into the first floor, now blocked. Entire building now truncated from above by single pitch roof covering modern garden store. Constructed of granite ashlar. Chamfered jambs of first floor entry in granite ashlar.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #91133 ]
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 62.
SDV7736Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 1991. The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 78-79.

Associated Monuments

MDV48962Related to: School west of Sheepstor (Building)
MDV4043Related to: The old Vicarage, Sheepstor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 29 2016 9:45AM