See important
guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
| HER Number: | MDV41535 |
|---|
| Name: | The Old National School, Sampford Spiney |
|---|
Summary
A late 16th century church house which was converted to a school in 1888. Now a private house.
Location
| Grid Reference: | SX 533 724 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | SX57SW |
|---|
| Admin Area | Dartmoor National Park |
|---|
| Civil Parish | Sampford Spiney |
|---|
| District | West Devon |
|---|
| Ecclesiastical Parish | SAMPFORD SPINEY |
|---|
Protected Status
Other References/Statuses
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SW/119
- Old Listed Building Ref (II)
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- CHURCH HOUSE (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD)
Full description
Department of Environment, 1991, Sampford Spiney. Amendment letter (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV259849.
The old national school. School, originally church house, and now a private house. Circa late C16 church house, extended and converted into school in 1888 and extended again in 1899; converted into house in late C20. Coursed rock-faced granite, original north wing granite rubble with large dressed granite quoins. Dry slate roof with small half-hipped ends with brackets to moulded bargeboards; asbestos slates on rear wing. Gable end and lateral stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. Plan: small circa 1888 school room with porch and small outshut at the left end in the angle with a rear (north) wing set back at right angles. The rear wing was originally the church house and had a first floor doorway in the rear gable end where the ground level is higher. In 1899 the school was extended and the rear (right hand) wing is probably of this period. Converted into a private house in late C20 when first floor of former church house was removed.
Exterior: 1 storey. Asymmetrical south west front. Main former schoolroom has 2 large windows breaking eaves, their round heads in half-hipped dormers. Gabled porch to left with deeply chamfered basket arch and lean-to on left in angle with original rear wing (church house). The left side of former church house wing is blind except for a small blocked opening near ground level to left of centre with a granite frame. The north east end of wing is built into bank and has a blocked narrow first floor doorway with granite monolith jambs and small later casement above. The inner right side of wing facing small yard has large granite masonry on right with flight of granite steps to higher ground level at rear, and on left wall rebuilt and 2 large full-height windows inserted. At the right (south east) end of main range 2 low single storey ranges.
Interior: much altered in late C20 conversion. Original church house north wing's first floor removed and roof structure replaced. History: the rear (north) wing was probably the church house in the enfeoffment of 1585 (west devon record office). It is also depicted as the church house in a plan on the indenture of 1888 when it was presented by revd j h parlby and extended and converted into a board school. It was extended again in 1899. In late C20 it was converted into a house
Waterhouse, R. E., 1991, The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey, 80-81 (Report - Survey). SDV7736.
The old school. Below churchyard, immediately to the west. At head of shallow valley with possible medieval village earthworks and hollow way below. Small rectangular building built into steep slope. Aligned east/west on same axis as church. Steps from churchyard lead directly down to first floor access, now blocked, at upper end. Small blocked window also in eastern gable. One chimney stack of modern brick on western gable. C19 school built directly onto western end and incorporating building. Granite rubble with ashlars on north side used for construction. Modern slate roof.
Ordnance Survey, 2026, Mastermap 2026 (Cartographic). SDV366713.
Building marked as The Old National School.
Sources / Further Reading
| SDV259849 | List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1991. Sampford Spiney. Amendment letter. Historic Houses Register. Letter. |
| |
| | |
| SDV366713 | Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2026. Mastermap 2026. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #145788 ] |
| |
| | |
| SDV7736 | Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 1991. The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 80-81. |
| |
| | |
Associated Monuments: none recorded
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events: none recorded
| Date Last Edited: | Jun 17 2026 5:25PM |
|---|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.