HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4157
Name:Church Cottage, Peter Tavy

Summary

Church house, south of the church. Circa early 17th century altered in early 20th century. The first school in Peter Tavy is thought to have been in part of the poorhouse (now Church Cottages). There was either an addition or adaptation and a granite doorwar (now blocked up) can be seen on the churchyard side of the building.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 513 777
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57NW/46
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92831

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (Constructed, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1650 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOL (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1823 AD? (Between))
  • WORKHOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1823 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Long, narrow, rectangular building is shown on the Tithe Map, bordering the south-eastern corner of the churchyard. Plot number 2, marked as 'Poor House', owned by the Parishioners of Peter Tavy, occupied by John Brook, John Friend. An outhouse building adjoins at the western end.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Unchanged from the Tithe Map, except the outbuilding is no longer shown.


Copeland, G. W., 1960, Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1, 138-9 (Article in Serial). SDV298102.

Church house, south of the church. The rear, in the churchyard, retains a chamfered granite doorway with an almost flat head; and west of this is a small chamfered light at ground level. The front doorway of one of the cottages into which the building has been divided is of granite, hollow-chamfered with a depressed head.


Department of Environment, 1988, Peter Tavy, 47, (28/10/1987) (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV262006.

No 1, Church Cottage. House, may originally have been church house. Circa early 17th century altered in early 20th century. Partly plastered granite rubble walls. Gable ended concrete tile roof. Large rubble stack at left gable end with brick shaft. Rendered stack to right, axial with later addition.
Plan: two rooms originally, left-hand room heated by gable fireplace. Original position of stairs uncertain; 19th or early 20th century straight-run stairs have been inserted between the two rooms. The position of the blocked early doorway on the centre of the rear wall raises problems with the plan as it does not oppose the front doorway, is at an intermediate level and opens only into the churchyard. It is likely either to be re-used or to have led into a stair projection which has since been demolished.
Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of 20th century 2-light casements. 19th century lean-to open-fronted stone porch (which has stone seats) towards left-hand end with original hollow chamfered granite segmental-headed doorway behind it. 20th century glazed door to right of centre. Similar blocked granite doorway roughly at centre of rear wall.
Interior: heavy chamfered cross beams. 20th century tiled fireplace has been inserted into earlier opening. Roof not inspected but old timbers may survive.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 14-15 (Monograph). SDV359884.

The first school in Peter Tavy is thought to have been in part of the poorhouse (now Church Cottages). There was either an addition or adaptation and a granite doorway (now blocked up) can be seen on the churchyard side of the building. The poorhouse had once been the Church House and it was not unusual for the paupers and a school to share the same premises. A document dating to 1823 lists the subscribers and accounts building costs. By 1856 it's possible the school had moved to elsewhere as another document records 68 pupils which would have been a struggle to accommodate here.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Church Cottages' are depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV262006List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Peter Tavy. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 47, (28/10/1987).
SDV298102Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1960. Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 92. A5 Hardback. 138-9.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 14-15.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #91151 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV4171Related to: St Peter's Church, Peter Tavy (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 24 2018 11:14AM