HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4159
Name:Cudlipptown Manor House

Summary

Remains of manor house, now known as Manor Farm. Parts of the interior of the building appear to be old, but no readily dateable features are visible. The front of Manor Farm was rebuilt in the 1880s in order to 'bring it up to date'. In 1953 it was rescued and partly restored. At the rear is an old chimney, which served as a hearth and cloam oven for bread-baking, and a rounded corner, suggesting even possible Saxon origins.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 520 790
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57NW/48

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV326172.

A small rubble built house with slate roof and plastered rubble stacks, one lateral. Two storeys with porch. Xvii century and later. Listed grade iii (doe).


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX57NW22, 26/9/1950 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV225462.

Remains of manor house, now known as Manor Farm. Parts of the interior of the building appear to be old, but no readily dateable features are visible. Current owner has no knowledge of the history of the house.


Peter Tavy Heritage Group, 2002, The Book of Peter Tavy with Cudlipptown, 138 (Monograph). SDV357134.

The front of Manor Farm was rebuilt in the 1880s in order to 'bring it up to date'. In 1953 it was rescued and partly restored. At the rear is an old chimney, which served as a hearth and cloam oven for bread-baking, and a rounded corner, suggesting even possible Saxon origins.
Images of the farm house from 1957 and 1970.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV225462Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX57NW22. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index. 26/9/1950.
SDV326172Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV357134Monograph: Peter Tavy Heritage Group. 2002. The Book of Peter Tavy with Cudlipptown. The Book of Peter Tavy with Cudlipptown: Two coats colder than Tavistock. Hardback Volume. 138.

Associated Monuments

MDV78093Part of: Manor Farm, Peter Tavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 26 2014 4:03PM