HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV42386
Name:Royal Aller Vale Quarry, Newton Abbot

Summary

The Royal Aller Vale Quarry originated as a gravel quarry in the north-east corner of the present site. It became known as Royal Aller Vale Quarry in the earlier 20th century and subsequently expanded eastwards and southwards.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 878 694
Map Sheet:SX86NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCoffinswell
Civil ParishKingskerswell
Civil ParishNewton Abbot
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCOFFINSWELL
Ecclesiastical ParishCOMBEINTEIGNHEAD
Ecclesiastical ParishABBOTSKERSWELL

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86NE/369

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • QUARRY (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Gravel Pit marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904, 115NE (Cartographic). SDV307076.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Aller Vale Sand Pits marked on 1904-1906 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

Royal Aller Vale Quarry (Sand) marked on 1930s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1964, SX86NE (Cartographic). SDV349531.


Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D., 2001, Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview, 30 (Report - Assessment). SDV336226.

Other details: Figure 8, site 20.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map comparison shows how the quarry has been extended, particularly in the second half of the 20th century. The original 'gravel pit' shown on the 1880s-1890s map was in the north-east corner of the site, in the area where the conveyors are now sited. The quarry subsequently extended eastwards in the first half of the 20th century and then expanded further eastwards and southwards in the second half of the century into the areas marked as Aller Balls, Aller Brake and Aller Covert on the 1880s-1890s map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV307076Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 115NE. 6" County Series.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336226Report - Assessment: Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D.. 2001. Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.80. A4 Stapled + Digital. 30.
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349531Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1964. SX86NE. Map (Paper).

Associated Monuments

MDV42387Related to: House at Aller Brake, (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4912 - Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site

Date Last Edited:Jun 18 2012 10:37AM