HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV42533
Name:The Mansion House, Seaton

Summary

The Mansion House was a summer residence of the Willoughby and Trevelyan families. The site is now a pub/hotel and club.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 247 899
Map Sheet:SY28NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSeaton
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSEATON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY28NW/86

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XXI - 1601 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Maps and Apportionments (Website). SDV349463.

Plot 337 is recorded as 'Mansion House Stable and Garden' within the Seaton and Beer Tithe Apportionment.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

A range of buildings are illustrated within plot 337 on the Seaton and Beer Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Site marked as Seaton Beach Hotel on 188s01890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The building is labelled as the 'Seaton Beach Hotel.'


Parkinson, M., 1985, The Axe Estuary and its Marshes, 38-39 (Article in Serial). SDV122290.

The Mansion House on Axmouth single bar was first mentioned in a survey of the Manor of Seaton in 1682. It was a summer residence for the lakyfolk Willoughby and Trevelyan families. It is shown on the 1839-1840 Tithe Map with stables and gardens. The site lies just west of Beach Road. The property became Assembly Rooms and is now the Bench Tavern.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Site now occupied by White Cliff and a club.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.

A range of buildings are illustrated within plot 337 on the Seaton and Beer Tithe Map of 1840. These are recorded as 'Mansion House Stable and Garden' within the accompanying Tithe Apportionment. A building is shown in this location on the First and Second Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps, labelled as the 'Seaton Beach Hotel.' The Ordnance Survey Master Map shows the area to now be occupied by White Cliff and a club.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV122290Article in Serial: Parkinson, M.. 1985. The Axe Estuary and its Marshes. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 117. A5 Paperback. 38-39.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #91438 ]
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV349463Website: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Maps and Apportionments. http://devon.gov.uk. Website.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 9 2015 2:45PM