HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV42905
Name:Exeter, Higher Barracks

Summary

Higher Barracks on the outskirts of Exeter were established in the late 18th century during the French Revolution Wars of 1790-1802. The barracks were enlarged in 1803 in response to the Napoleonic Wars of 1803-15 & remained in military use until 1997. All the major & several of the minor structures remain within the modern housing estate.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 921 934
Map Sheet:SX99SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishExeter
DistrictExeter
Ecclesiastical ParishST.DAVIDS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX99SW/221
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARRACKS (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1974, Exeter, 145 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV325648.

Higher Barracks.1792 and 1867. Red bricks with slate roofs. Two storeys, sash windows with glazing bars, some arched. North range. Hipped slate roof with central cupola with clock and weathervane. East and west ranges. First floor verandahs.


Rowe, J., 1988, The cavalry barracks at Barnstaple, 118-21 (Article in Serial). SDV336176.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 409 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Cavalry barracks of 1792. Additions of 1867 include block with clock tower.


Breihan, J. R., 1990, Army barracks in Devon during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars, 145 (Article in Serial). SDV336175.

Higher Barracks.1794. Brick built cavalry barracks for 180 men and 15 officers. Symmetrical complex centred on the Officers' House which faced the barracks gates across a long rectangular parade ground (now a lawn and car park). On either side of the Officers' House, at right angles to it, 2-storey buildings lined the long sides of the parade ground. The present Victorian Officers' House replaced a probable 3-storey pedimented structure. Adjoining wings contained stables below and men's rooms above. East wing was rebuilt after 1868 fire, but west wing is largely intact. Hipped roof. Exterior walls contain late 18th century hitching-rings, boot-scrapers and ventilating grates. Much-altered interior ground floor contains cast-iron columns. Ground floor of each block also held a soldiers' cooking room with 7 boilers. Upstairs were 10 rooms either side of a central corridor. In 1803 Higher Barracks was more than doubled in capacity by a wooden addition that adopted the same 'U' shaped plan as the original brick complex. Its 'E' shaped Officers' House, facing a parade ground lined by 6 soldiers' barracks and stables is visible on a map of 1805. The wooden barracks stood just to the west of the brick ones, covering an area of roughly 1000 feet by 220 feet. The combined capacity in 1805 was 32 officers, 384 men and 412 horses. A single-storey brick building in the southwest corner of the Higher Barracks complex was marked on an 1868 plan as Laundries. This is unlikely for 1805, yet they might have housed the forge or fire engine. A single-storey brick building in the southeast corner of the complex was probably the old canteen, with its L-shaped plan reflecting separate tap rooms for privates and NCOs. A brick built hospital had nine bays aligned with the west range of barracks along the Parade Ground. The Guard House adjoining main gate of the barracks had a large bracketed porch originally used for mounting guard under cover. Inside were sleeping rooms for the guard and cells for prisoners. A walled coal yard was located along the eastern perimeter wall of which the massive gates survive. The wall enclosing the barracks was approximately 1000 feet by 300 feet & was especially evident along Howell Road.


Parker, R. W., 2005, The Higher Barracks, Howell Road, Exeter (Report - Survey). SDV336177.

Higher Barracks on the outskirts of Exeter were established in the late 18th century during the French Revolution Wars of 1790-1802. Buildings included a Regimental Headquarters, barrack ranges & ancillary structures such as a hospital (see PRN 42909), canteen, workshops, barns (see 42914), veterinary stables & riding school (see 42912). The barracks were enlarged in 1803 in response to the Napoleonic Wars of 1803-15 & remained in military use until 1997. In 2005 the site was recorded prior to redevelopment for housing. Many of the 18th, 19th & 20th century military buildings survived within the compund & six of the major buildings were individually Listed Grade II. Many buildings have since been demolished but all the major & several of the minor structures remain within the modern housing estate. Other details: Parts I & II: The Illustrations.


Allan, J., 2008, Higher Barracks in Exeter (Article in Serial). SDV360839.

Higher Barracks in Exeter were established in the late 18th century as part of a national scheme to improve military accomodation in response to the threat of invasion during the French Revolutionary Wars. A site on the outskirts of the city was chosen and surrounded by a perimiter wall, within which an impressive group of buildings was constructed. These included a Regimental Headquaters building, barrack ranges and ancillary structures such as hospital, canteen, workshops , abrns, veterinary stables and riding school. Following a further invasion scare in 1803 the barracks were enlarged and remained in use as a militiary installation throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

See full article for further details.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 409.
SDV325648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1974. Exeter. Historic Houses Register. Website. 145.
SDV336175Article in Serial: Breihan, J. R.. 1990. Army barracks in Devon during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 122. A5 Paperback. 145.
SDV336176Article in Serial: Rowe, J.. 1988. The cavalry barracks at Barnstaple. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 36.40. Unknown. 118-21.
SDV336177Report - Survey: Parker, R. W.. 2005. The Higher Barracks, Howell Road, Exeter. Exeter Archaeology Report. 5.54. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV360839Article in Serial: Allan, J.. 2008. Higher Barracks in Exeter. Devon Archaeological Society Newsletter. 99. Extract + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV42914Parent of: Exeter, Higher Barracks, Barn (Building)
MDV42909Parent of: Exeter, Higher Barracks, Hospital (Building)
MDV42912Parent of: Exeter, Higher Barracks, Riding School (Building)
MDV87788Parent of: Higher Barracks, Howell Road, Exeter (Building)
MDV111108Parent of: The Quadrangle, Howell Road, Exeter (Park/Garden)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3884 - The Higher Barracks, Holwell Road, Exeter

Date Last Edited:Feb 8 2018 10:20AM