HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV430
Name:All Saints' Parish Church, Langtree

Summary

A 15th century building with a fine 17th century pulpit. Restored in 1865-6.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 451 155
Map Sheet:SS41NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLangtree
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLANGTREE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5331
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS41NE/7
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 90993

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIV to XIX - 1301 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Cresswell, B. F., Untitled Source (Unknown). SDV19754.


Wainwright, T., 1906 - 1907, Inscriptions in Devonshire Churches, 26 (Article in Serial). SDV5296.

Seventeenth century memorial to Abraham Barnefield. The inscription, which includes emblematic verse, is reproduced.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 113 (Monograph). SDV336196.

West tower is buttressed at the foot and has its stair turret reaching above the battlements.6-bay arcade of granite piers separates wide nave from north aisle. Rare perpendicular tracery dessign in east window of chancel. Also octagonal, perpendicular font. Two chairs with re-used 16th century Flemish reliefs. Royal arms, of plaster, with strapwork decoration.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 422 (Monograph). SDV17562.

A 15th century building, dedication unknown. There is a fine 17th century pulpit.


White, W., 1968, Reprint of History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire (Monograph). SDV323585.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 532 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Torridge District Council, 2002, Untitled Source (Planning Application). SDV18369.

Planning application for WC extension to west end of north aisle.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register, 12 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Parish Church. Fifteenth- to early 16th century, restored in 1865 - 6. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, long chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The nave and tower may be pre-Perpendicular but exhibit features mostly dating only to the 15th century.
The north aisle has late 15th-/early 16th century windows but these may date from a remodelling rather than rebuilding of the church. The restoration of 1865 - 6 included the opening up of the tower arch, reseating and rebuilding of the south chancel wall. Nineteenth century vestry added to north of chancel.
Exterior: 3-stage castellated west tower with short square pinnacles and corner buttresses upto top of 1st stage. Pentagonal stair turret on south side. Late 19th century inserted west doorway with shouldered head. Restored 3-light Perpendicular west window. Blocked 2-light belfry opening. North aisle has blocked 2-centred arched doorway at its west end. North aisle has blocked 2-centre arched doorway at its
west end. On its north face are 5 early 16th century 3-light stone mullion windows in relatively original state. The 2 westernmost windows and that to the east have 2-centred lights whereas the other 2 windows have cinquefoil lights - all have square hoodmoulds. Perpendicular east window to aisle. Completely restored 4-light east window in Decorated style. South wall of chancel also has 2 19th century windows with cinquefoil heads. Restored Tudor arched priest's door between them. Nave has 3-light partly restored early 16th century window with 4-centred treads towards west end and 19th century 4-light 15th century style mullion window towards east end. Gabled south porch with chamfered round-arched rubble doorway and slate sundial in gable dated 1641.
Interior: possibly 14th century red sandstone south doorway with 2-centred head and rebated hollow chamfer. 6-bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup capitals and 4-centred arches with hollow and roll moulding. Very tall similar 2-centred tower arch which fits awkwardly to the wall either side suggesting that some rebuilding has taken place here.
The Old wagon roofs survive with simply moulded and chamfered ribs, carved bosses and wall-plate, crenellated to the nave. Good 5-sided late 17th century pulpit richly carved with festoons and angel heads, acanthus leaves in frieze and bolection moulded panels.
Fifteenth century octagonal granite font with panels carved in quatrefoils, crosses and other religious emblems.
Royal Coat of Arms on north wall is, unusually in plaster relief with angel head in pediment above, columns either side with stiff leaf capitals surmounted by obelisks which have strapwork motifs in their pedestals - a curiously archaic design for George I - whose arms are depicted - and George II whose name is recorded.
Good pedimented wall memorial of 1688 in north aisle to Abraham Bamfield Gent incorporating marble panel with column either side. There are several 18th century floor memorials at the east end of the nave.
The 2 sanctuary chairs incorporate probably French 17th century carved panels depicting Christ bearing the cross and the descent from the cross. The altar also has a carved wooden panel depicting Christ with the disciples at Emmaus.


English Heritage, 2010, Pastscape (Website). SDV344236.

Fifteenth- to early 16th century origin. Other details: 897083 SS41NE35.


Roe, A., 2011, Images of Painting, All Saints Parish Church, Langtree (Ground Photograph). SDV346984.

Painting, thought to be Victorian, is visible near the chancel of All Saints Parish Church, Langtree. More of the painting has apparently been revealed recently, during works carried out on the interior of the church. The painting has been covered with a lime wash to protect it. Depicts 'sun' motif, and possibly the letters 'IHS'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website. 12.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 422.
SDV18369Planning Application: Torridge District Council. 2002. Torridge District Council Planning Application. Unknown.
SDV19754Unknown: Cresswell, B. F.. Churches in the Deanery of Torrington. Unknown.
SDV323585Monograph: White, W.. 1968. Reprint of History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire. White's 1850 Devon. Hardback Volume.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 532.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 113.
SDV344236Website: English Heritage. 2010. Pastscape. http://pastscape.english-heritage.org.uk. Website.
SDV346984Ground Photograph: Roe, A.. 2011. Images of Painting, All Saints Parish Church, Langtree. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV5296Article in Serial: Wainwright, T.. 1906 - 1907. Inscriptions in Devonshire Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 4. Unknown. 26.

Associated Monuments

MDV433Parent of: Langtree Church Plasterwork (Building)
MDV431Parent of: Langtree Sundial (Building)
MDV432Related to: Churchyard Cross south-east of Langtree Parish Church (Building)
MDV35644Related to: Langtree, Brent Headstones (Building)
MDV35645Related to: Langtree, Churchyard Wall (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 14 2017 12:37PM