HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV43337
Name:INDUSTRIAL BUILDING in the Parish of Gulworthy


Complex of yards, pond, channels and launders, a shed and an incline at Gawton Mine to the west of the limekilns.


Grid Reference:SX 450 688
Map Sheet:SX46NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX46NE/527/15
  • Old SAM County Ref: 1024

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INDUSTRIAL BUILDING (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

Complex of buildings, yards and pond shown on os 1880s 25" OS map to the west of the 'limekiln'.

Dixon, T. + Matthews, A. + Pye A. R. + Slater, W. D., 1988, Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works. The Field Survey. 1988, 15-17 (Report - Survey). SDV222516.

Complex located between the trackway to the quay, the kilns (PRN 43341, 43342, 43343) and the Mine Captain's House (PRN43338). Consists of a series of yards, a settling pond and associated channels and launders, a shed and an incline linking engine shaft with the 1895 engine house ((PRN43330).
Yards (a) and (b) first appear on 1892 map, though may have been present in 1875. Possibly used to store limestone and fuel for kilns. Between 1892 and 1906 the west area had mine waste dumped on it, and between 1892 and 1895 a settling pond (d) and launders and channels (e-g) were constructed in the east.
Yard (a): flat bottomed rectilinear channel aligned north-south. Originally extended further west, but since obscured by settling pond.
Yard (b): flat terrace, partly covered by mine dumps. Located immediately east of (a) at a slightly higher level. North end revetted by shillet wall - probably that shown on 1892 map and perhaps originally forming north boundary of (a) also.
Shed (c): small rectangular building located 5m south of (a) and (b). Dates to between 1842 and 1867. Function unknown. Between 1892 and 1906 another structure, since demolished, was added to its east side. Seems to be the easternmost of two buildings shown on 1906 map. Largely of shillet. Both gable ends survive. Doorway at west end of northwall. East side of this is formed by the side of a concrete foundation whose function is unknown, though composition similar to a possibly 1920s building (PRN 43336). Rest of north wall and south wall appear to survive to full height. Holes towards bottom of west gable end may be original/related to removal of machinery/result of partial collapse. Just north is a small drain leading into yard (a). Probably a late feature. 1906 map shows another larger building, which no longer survives, to west of this structure.
Pond (d): located immediately east of Mine Captain's House (PRN 43338). North and west sides revetted with shillet. Two pairs of wooden launders emerge from south end of west wall of pond - one of which now used by stream. Pond almost completely silted up. At least one other wooden launder survives aligned north-south between pond wall and Captain's House. Shallow cut leading from middle of north wall to pit (e) may be result of later disturbance.
Pit (e): rectilinear cut aligned north north west-south south east. Stone lined. Relationship with pond unclear. South section broader than north, and may originally have held a wheel. Possible fragment of wooden sluice survives at north end of narrow section.
Hollow (f): aligned north-south. South end and east side shillet lined. Upper part of east wall of concrete similar to that used in refinery (PRN 43326). No clear north edge. West edge clear at south end; north end possibly marked by series of shillet blocks laid parallel to water channel (g).
Channel (g): 0.20m deep, 0.25m wide. Runs north-south. Probably links up with (e) and (f).
Incline (h): led from area of engine shaft to 1895 crushing plant. Two portions survive. Lower is visible through lower part of mine dumps as a hollow, continuing to north of quay access road as stone-built incline. This ends on line of stream, and corners are brick faced. The rest is faced with vertical shillets. Beyond the stream it probably continued as a wooden tramway. Incline carried underneath track to quay by a brick-arched tunnel which may be an insertion. Upper portion of incline adjoins crushing plant and survives for 20m. Other details: figs 3,4,6,7,11. survey Spring/Summer 1988.

Weddell, P. J. + Pye, A. R., 1989, Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works: The Documentary Research 1988 (Report - non-specific). SDV263249.

Buck, C., 2003, Gawton Mine, Devon, Fig 5 (Report - Survey). SDV222530.

Buck, C., 2006, Gawton Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment, 53 (Report - Assessment). SDV344672.

Features relating to the former quay yards have for the most part been obscured by later mine waste dumping and reworking of the dumps in the First World War. The area is overgrown with trees and often dense vegetation. Parts of the gable end and side walls of the building are extant. Other details: Figures 7-10, 36, sites 54-55.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV222516Report - Survey: Dixon, T. + Matthews, A. + Pye A. R. + Slater, W. D.. 1988. Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works. The Field Survey. 1988. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.02. A4 Stapled + Digital. 15-17.
SDV222530Report - Survey: Buck, C.. 2003. Gawton Mine, Devon. Cornwall Archaeological Unit Report. 2003R086. A4 Stapled + Digital. Fig 5.
SDV263249Report - non-specific: Weddell, P. J. + Pye, A. R.. 1989. Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works: The Documentary Research 1988. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.01. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV344672Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2006. Gawton Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R023. A4 Stapled + Digital. 53.
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV5490Part of: Gawton Mine, West Devon (Monument)
MDV43326Related to: Arsenic Refinery, Gawton Mine (Monument)
MDV126386Related to: Embankment, Gawton Mine (Monument)
MDV43330Related to: Engine House Complex, Gawton Mine (Monument)
MDV126384Related to: Industrial building, Gawton Mine (Building)
MDV126385Related to: Industrial building, Gawton Mine (Building)
MDV43336Related to: Small building at east end of Limekilns at Gawton Mine (Building)
MDV126371Related to: Small store building, Gawton Mine (Building)
MDV43338Related to: Tavistock Hamlets, Gawton Mine, Mine Captain's House (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3183 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV4746 - Archaeological Assessment of Gawton Mine, Devon
  • EDV4747 - Field Survey of Gawton Mine

Date Last Edited:Aug 29 2019 10:11AM