HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV43349
Name:Lloyd's Signal Station, Prawle Point

Summary

An Admirality signal station was possibly first erected here in the late 18th century. The site became a Lloyd's Signal Station in 1882. Between 1903 and 1951 it served as a Royal Navy Signal Station. Lloyd's signalling continued until 1956.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 773 350
Map Sheet:SX73NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishChivelstone
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCHIVELSTONE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX73NE/2/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SIGNAL STATION (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1884, 138NE (Cartographic). SDV145465.

"Lloyd's Signal Station" shown on OS 6" (1884) map.

Ordnance Survey, 1963, Ordnance Survey 6 inch map (Cartographic). SDV166087.

"Signal Station" on OS 6" 1963 map.

Larn, R., 1974, Devon Shipwrecks, 102 (Monograph). SDV741.

Kitchen, F., 1990, The Napoleonic War Coast Signal Stations, 337 (Article in Monograph). SDV145464.

Admiralty signal station erected here in 1794 at a cost of 120 pounds 4 shillings and 9 pence.

Brown, J., 2010, Historical Neighbours (Article in Serial). SDV352068.

Prawle Point was one of a chain of signal stations that signalled the progress of ships up the English Channel.

Phimester, J., 2015, First World War Wireless Stations in England, 28-29, 61 (Monograph). SDV360115.

OA No. 63. Prawle Point. Admiralty type. The station is thought to have been erected in the 1860s as a coastguard lookout by the Admiralty. It became a Lloyd's Signal Station in 1882. Between 1903 and 1951 it served as a Royal Navy Signal Station with both Lloyd and Admiralty signalling undertaken by Navy personnel who carried this out while undertaking lifeguarding duties. Lloyds signalling continued until 1956.
Lloyd's Signal Station is identified on historic maps. A small hut and mast are identifiable. The 19th century station survives but it is difficult to distinguish possible platforms surrounding the station from the coastline. A remote coastal location.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145464Article in Monograph: Kitchen, F.. 1990. The Napoleonic War Coast Signal Stations. The Mariner's Mirror. 76. 337.
SDV145465Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1884. 138NE. 6".
SDV166087Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1963. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. Map (Paper).
SDV352068Article in Serial: Brown, J.. 2010. Historical Neighbours. National Coastwatch Institution Newsletter. 35. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV360115Monograph: Phimester, J.. 2015. First World War Wireless Stations in England. First World War Wireless Stations in England. Digital. 28-29, 61.
SDV741Monograph: Larn, R.. 1974. Devon Shipwrecks. Devon Shipwrecks. Hardback Volume. 102.

Associated Monuments

MDV7051Part of: Prawle Point Beacon (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6587 - Archaeological Assessment of Land between Bolt Heat and Bolt Tail

Date Last Edited:Nov 29 2019 4:01PM