HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV43724
Name:St Patricks, 1 Church Street, Cullompton

Summary

Detached two storey house with outbuildings, circa 1840. Symmetrical three window range, with later 19th century extension to left, single storey outbuilding to right.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 021 071
Map Sheet:ST00NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCullompton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCULLOMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST00NW/69
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 95277

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Tiverton District Council, 1978, Cullompton Conservation Area, 7 (Report - non-specific). SDV41951.

Dr Shove's House (St. Patricks), Church Street. Listed Grade III. Submitted for consideration to the Secretary of State for the Environment in December 1977.


Department of Environment, 1986, Cullompton, 57 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336339.

Detached house with outbuildings. Circa 1840. Mostly volcanic trap with some brick and cob, plastered, under gabled-end slate roof. End stacks with brick shafts and contemporary decorated pots. Two storeys. Front: symmetrical three-window range; two later-19th century gabled dormers; deeply overhanging eaves with shaped brackets; upper windows with eaved lugged shouldered moulded architraves, sills on brackets, and unhorned sashes. Ground floor: semi-circular headed door with fanlight, and panelled reveals, pilasters and pediment; window to either side, moulded architraves and heavy pediments, sills on brackets, horned sashes; some crown glass to first floor windows. Pilaster quoins; left-hand brick extension with one horned sash window; single-storeyed tiled outbuildings to right with door and garage. Left-hand elevation with two 19th century oriel windows; rear wing with three 19th century casement windows to first floor, with diamond panes to top, two-light windows below: rear elevation with two sash windows; a later 19th century canted bay to left-hand side of rear elevation. Interior: panelled internal shutters and doors survive; dog-leg staircase, curved rail and bobbin balusters. Plaster cornice to rear wing upper room.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336339List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Cullompton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 57.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV41951Report - non-specific: Tiverton District Council. 1978. Cullompton Conservation Area. Tiverton District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 12 2012 12:02PM