HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV43865
Name:The Boathouse, Brunswick Wharf, Barnstaple


Early 19th century warehouse. Now disused.


Grid Reference:SS 556 335
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/519
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAREHOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Building shown with smaller adjoining buildings on the west and south sides.

Bone, M., 1973, Barnstaple's Industrial Archaeology, 17 (Monograph). SDV78228.

An old builder's warehouse.

Hunter, J., 2003, Rawle Gammon and Baker Site, Rolle Quay, Barnstaple: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, 9 (Report - Assessment). SDV339086.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

The Boathouse, Brunswick Wharf. Warehouse, now disused. Early C19. Slatestone rubble with dressings of squared stone, much of it limestone, yellow and red brick. Slated roof with blue glazed ridge-tiles. Oblong plan with one room on each floor. 2 storeys. 4-window ranges to north and south; 1-window gable wall to west. Upper storey of east gable wall has tall, round-headed doorway with well-cut stone jambs; yellow brick arch with keystone, springing from plain imposts. Double doors (probably original) consisting of diagonally-set planks with beaded edges. Lower doors, rising to impost level, are hinged at the sides, but a 2nd pair in the head of the arch are hinged from a central post. A later wicket door has been cut into the right-hand lower door. Fixed to right-hand jamb is part of an old iron hoist. On left side the doorway is approached by a flight of steps. Lowest 4 steps are of solid brick, but the next 4 are cantilevered stone blocks. These have been underpinned in concrete block and a platform and double doors to ground storey added in C20. Behind is the original ground-storey entrance with well-cut stone jambs, rebated for doors of which the iron hinges survive. South front has in ground storey 5 low, blocked openings with curved almost pointed arches of red brick. A 6th opening at west end has been cut into by a C20 door. Upper storey has 4 windows below the eaves, 3 of them blocked. The 2nd from the east is boarded, having behind it a rough window-frame fronting an old iron grille. Between and flanking the windows are 15 slate-framed pigeon-holes, 2 of them having the original slate perches. At the right-hand end is a doorway, now blocked, with a segmental red brick arch. The north front, which stands immediately on the edge of the quay, has windows with segmental red brick arches, 2 in the centre of the ground storey and 4 above; the 2nd upper-storey window from the east has a wooden louvre with an old iron grille behind it. Flanking the ground-storey windows are 2 wide doorways with segmental red brick arches; the eastern doorway is blocked, while the western one has an old plank door. Both doorways originally extended down to a lower quay surface. Quay wall below is supported by 3 large, raking stone buttresses. West gable-wall has a window with segmental red brick arch in upper storey and another in the gable; upper-storey window has an old iron grille. Against the north side of the ground storey is the shadow of a later stone building now demolished; it is shown in old photographs and in a mid C19 painting. INTERIOR: 1988 list description mentions plain, heavy upper-floor beams. 4 roof trusses with tie-beams, collar-beams and vertical struts from tie to principal. All timbers appeared to be nailed rather than pegged; the struts were bolted from below. A building is shown in this position, complete with extension to west, on John Wood's plan of 1843. Brunswick Wharf was built by the Gould family on a town lease about 1829 and held by them throughout C19.

Unknown, 24/10/1991, Moves to Save Old Building (Article in Serial). SDV90548.

Planning permission granted for conversion into winebar bu concerns expressed about damp seeping in from sand in an adjacent yard. .

Department of Environment, 29/09/1988, Barnstaple Re-Survey (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV59491.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339086Report - Assessment: Hunter, J.. 2003. Rawle Gammon and Baker Site, Rolle Quay, Barnstaple: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. CgMs Consulting Report. JH/3907. A4 Stapled + Digital. 9.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV59491List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 29/09/1988. Barnstaple Re-Survey. A4 Unbound.
SDV78228Monograph: Bone, M.. 1973. Barnstaple's Industrial Archaeology. Barnstaple's Industrial Archaeology. A5 Paperback. 17.
SDV90548Article in Serial: Unknown. 24/10/1991. Moves to Save Old Building. North Devon Journal. Newspaper/Magazine Cutting + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV872Part of: Brunswick Wharf, Barnstaple (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4279 - Rawle Gammon and Baker Site at Rolle Quay, Barnstaple

Date Last Edited:Mar 12 2015 2:22PM