HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV44119
Name:The Highwayman's Haunt


House in use as a restaurant, circa late 16th or early 17th century, with late 20th century renovations and additions.


Grid Reference:SX 879 806
Map Sheet:SX88SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishChudleigh
Ecclesiastical ParishCHUDLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SE/91

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI to XX - 1501 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

WILLIAMS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV22693.

Highwayman's haunt inn. In origin an above average sized late medieval house of 3 room and cross passage plan. No early external details survive other than the whitewashed rubble walls and thatched roof. Original house has been shortened and additions made. Originally a long-house. The ground slopes slightly to the sw for drainage of the byre. Stone-based, brick-sided oven beside hall fireplace. Between hall and inner room are remains of a stud and plank screen, not later than early 16th century in date. Hall fireplace 17th century in date. Se wing probably also 17th century, coeval with insertion of upper floor, raising of walls and reroofing. Jointed cruck construction.(williams).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV311793.

Des=williams, e.(may 1991)/survey of highwaymans haunt inn/copy in parish file.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

House in use as restaurant. Circa late C16/early C17 with thorough late C20 renovations and additions. Whitewashed rendered cob and stone; thatched roof hipped at left end, gabled at right end; right end and 2 axial stacks, all with brick shafts. The core of the main range is a 3 room and passage plan (passage no longer exists) with the lower end to the right, the hall heated by the right hand axial stack and the inner room heated by the left hand axial stack. The lower end appears to have been substantially rebuilt. A rear left wing at right angles to the inner room was formerly a dairy but has been incorporated into the house. A small single-storey block adjoining the range at the left end is a subsequent addition, similar addition at right end. There has been a large single-storey addition at the rear filling in the angle between the main range and rear wing. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front, the eaves thatch swept down over the single storey block at the left end. No front door on main range, the entrance, which is C20, is into the single-storey block at the right end. Fenestration of 2-light casements with glazing bars. Interior In spite of modernization and change of use some interior features survive. 2-side pegged jointed crucks survive over the hall and inner room with collars mortised into the principals. No access to apex of roof at time of survey (1986). On the ground floor the former inner room (left end) has a chamfered cross beam with step stops; the hall has a chamfered cross beam with scroll stops. The fragments of a plank and muntin screen survive between hall and inner room with diagonal stops, to the muntins. In 1333 the property paid a hearth tax of 9s 4 1/2d.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV22693Migrated Record: WILLIAMS.
SDV311793Migrated Record:
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #92077 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 4 2014 1:42PM