HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV44197
Name:Tavistock Pannier Market

Summary

The Pannier market which opened 1862 formed part of the major redevelopment of Tavistock by the Duke of Bedford in the mid 19th century. It comprises a long central hall surrounded by complete ambulatory.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 482 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/273
  • Old Listed Building Ref: 93542

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HALL (Mid, XIX - 1862 AD to 1862 AD)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1975, Tavistock Town Walk, 92 (Article in Monograph). SDV352474.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 170, 172 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

The earliest market probably occupied the area bounded by King Street and Market Street. By the 18th century there were Higher and Lower Market Houses and the street names such as Barley Street and Butcher Street give the locations of specialist market areas. The process of centralisation of market activities began in 1835 with the construction of the Corn market and in 1860 the New Market was built. Today this is the site of the historic pannier market, which has been carried on in Tavostock for some 870 years.


Cox, J., 1986, The Tavistock Pannier Market, 9-11 (Article in Serial). SDV270110.

Pannier market. Opened 1862. Greenstone with granite and yellow brick dressings and slate roofs. Consists of central market hall, aisled on all sides. Irregular range of buildings on the market road side, including auctioneer's hall and 2 cart entrances. Fine row of 3-storey shops facing Duke Street has a blind arcade with iron columns and 3 archways into the market place. Still in use. Duke Street shops listed Grade II, but remainder unlisted.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 13-14, 15, 47 (Monograph). SDV354806.

The mid 19th century saw a major redevelopment of Tavistock take place as the 7th Duke of Bedford ploughed back some of his huge profits from mining enterprises into new buildings. In the 1850s-60s old streets and houses were cleared to be replaced by the Town Hall, the Pannier Market and new shops along a widened thoroughfare called Duke Street. The distinctive green Hurdwick stone used for much of the new construction was quarried just to the north of the town.


West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan, 2, 11, 38 (Report - non-specific). SDV351411.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Pannier Market.
Covered market building. 1860s, as part of Bedford Estate Improvements. Hurdwick stone, dressings in granite or in cream brick, slate roofs, some asbestos-cement slate to concealed slopes. A long central hall-surrounded by complete ambulatory; central gabled roof, lower roofs also pitched, returned at ends to slightly canted corners, and to internal valleys. Towards Bedford Square (facing the back of New Halt) are two wide doorways to segmental pointed heads in brick dressings with a central stone fountain in arched recess, including shield with 'B' (Bedford) and flanked by windows on splayed corners; the gable of the central hall, above, has 3 segmental pointed lights to granite lintols set to gable slope, over a central light at lower level. Left and right sides have 5-pane windows at eaves, alternating with segmental headed doors in rhythm 3: door: 4:door:4: door: 3. These windows rectangular 5-pane, brick jambs and granite cills. Far end similar to entrance end, but central recessed pointed arch in plain stone without embellishment. Central hall has range of 13 ten-pane windows each side, set to granite lintols (which are identical in profile to the cills of the ambulatory windows): long central roof light in plane of roof. North ambulatory also has 3 stretches of similar roof light. Small offset plinth all round. Plank doors to openings.
Interior: central hall has 13 bays plus small bay at each end where wall is set on splay. Composite queen post trusses. Clerestory windows above a 3-course brick string course, over 5-bay arcade of wide pointed segmental arches to large flush granite voussoirs, on plain stone piers. Gable ends have 1 over 3 windows. Aisles have composite king-post trusses, alternate trusses springing from corbels at the head of the arcade arches. Nave gives to westend through two segmental arches but at the east end these, and the ambulatory are blocked off by a temporary concrete block partition. Floors are good squared granite slabs throughout, roof slopes underlined with boarding. Apart from the temporary block partitions, the building is apparently as built; the robust detailing has withstood well over a hundred years of use; market was in progress at the time of inspection (August 1988). The building is enclosed by New Hall to the west, and numbers 9-18 Duke Street to the north: the latter, with its iron colonnade towards the Pannier Market, dices from 1860, and would appear to be part of the same development.
Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV270110Article in Serial: Cox, J.. 1986. The Tavistock Pannier Market. Devon Buildings Group Newsletter. 1. Unknown. 9-11.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 170, 172.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351411Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan. West Devon Borough Council Report. a4 Stapled + Digital. 2, 11, 38.
SDV352474Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tavistock Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 92.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 13-14, 15, 47.

Associated Monuments

MDV23081Related to: 9 to 18 Duke Street, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7228 - Archaeological Monitoring and Recording at the Former Butchers Market Hall, Tavistock

Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2015 9:41AM