HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV44243
Name:1 and 2 Baileys Cottages, Colaton Raleigh


Seventeenth century cottages refurbished in 1893 by Rolle Estate.


Grid Reference:SY 078 874
Map Sheet:SY08NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishColaton Raleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOLATON RALEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY08NE/140
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))
  • ESTATE COTTAGE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1893 AD (Between))

Full description

Ford, A., 2001, Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley, 83 (Monograph). SDV356721.

Rolle Estate cottages, 1893.

Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, Site No. 1988 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Pair of cottages probably 17th century origin but refurbished 1893. Listed Grade II.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

1 and 2 Baileys Cottages.
Pair of cottages. Probably C17 origins, thoroughly refurbished in 1893 according to the date plaque. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, rebuilt with brick; stone rubble or brick stacks topped with late C19 Rolle Estate chimney pots. Pair of 2-room plan cottages facing onto the road to the south-west. No.1 is on the right (south-eastern) end and No.2 to left. The outer rooms have end stacks, the left one shared with Rose Cottage (q.v.) and the right one of exposed brick and projecting a little. There is an axial stack in the party wall between the cottages serving back-to-back fireplaces. Both are 2 storeys. Each cottage has a symmetrical 2-window front of C20 replacement casements with glazing bars arranged about a central C20 plank door. There is a limestone plaque set high in the wall between the cottages. It is inscribed and bears the date 1893 with Mark Rolle's initials. Interiors have plain carpentry and joinery detail. Roofs not inspected. Baileys Cottages forms a group with No.1 Drupes Cottages and Rose Cottage and the barn adjoining

Sources / Further Reading

SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. Site No. 1988.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #92120 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV356721Monograph: Ford, A.. 2001. Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley. Paperback Volume. 83.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Oct 19 2016 11:13AM