HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV45919
Name:Military Earthworks, Tiverton Castle

Summary

Outworks to protect Tiverton Castle and St Peter's Church during the English Civil War extended as far as Castle Street.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/29/7

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MILITARY EARTHWORKS (XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Dunsford, M., 1790, Untitled Source, 305, 375 (Monograph). SDV345501.


Snell, F. J., 1892, Untitled Source, 116, 118 (Monograph). SDV37599.


Butler, D., 19/01/1993, South West Water Sewerage Scheme, St Peter's Street (Worksheet). SDV37596.

Documentary sources and evidence for the military earthworks enclosing the castle and church. Dunsford (1790) refers to castle outworks by the sheep market, a large vacant plot (sheep pens are marked on a plan of 1796 at the west end of Newport Street). The outworks extended to the Baptist meeting house on Newport Street. Snell (1892) refers to the south and east areas of churchyard being raised much above the original level by heaps of earth. One flank of the castle outworks extended along Newport Street as far as Castle Street, the other line from the north end of the castle to the junction of Castle Street and Bartows causeway. A causeway led to the east gate of the castle, protected by a wall 36 feet long and 15 feet wide, with gates. There was a gate at the south-east angle. North and south walls were defended by a deep and wide moat, with outer drawbridge to Newport Street. Stoyle (publication pending) refers to 120 houses being pulled down near to the castle at this time.


Laithwaite, M., 1987, Report on the Tiverton Castle Project 1987, 25 (Un-published). SDV35428.

The outworks of fortifications seem to have enclosed both the church and castle, and must have been formidable, even if they were no more than earthen ramparts. Described by General Fairfax as 'very strong and regular as i have seen'. They are said to have extended to the Baptist meeting house in Newport Street, and were probably not built until the late summer of 1645.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


Butler, D., 23/02/1993, South West Water Sewerage Scheme, St Peter Street (Report - Watching Brief). SDV37597.

Excavation to the south of the churchyard wall failed to reveal any traces of the Civil War defences of 1644/5.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV345501Monograph: Dunsford, M.. 1790. Historical Memoirs of the Town and Parish of Tiverton. Unknown. 305, 375.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV35428Un-published: Laithwaite, M.. 1987. Report on the Tiverton Castle Project 1987. A4 Stapled. 25.
SDV37596Worksheet: Butler, D.. 19/01/1993. South West Water Sewerage Scheme, St Peter's Street. Devon County Sites and Monuments Register. Worksheet.
SDV37597Report - Watching Brief: Butler, D.. 23/02/1993. South West Water Sewerage Scheme, St Peter Street. Report on Watching Brief at St Peter's Street. A4 Unbound.
SDV37599Monograph: Snell, F. J.. 1892. Chronicles of Twyford. Unknown. 116, 118.

Associated Monuments

MDV50030Related to: St Peter's Churchyard (Monument)
MDV1379Related to: Tiverton Castle (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 5 2018 9:40AM