HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV46394
Name:Combe Raleigh, Skittishayes

Summary

A farm called Skittishayes is marked on a survey of 1798. It appears on the Tithe Map but not on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1891. The foundations of the buildings are still visible when the field is ploughed.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 154 028
Map Sheet:ST10SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCombe Raleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOMBE RALEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST10SE/192

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1798, 1798 Survey (Record Office Collection). SDV110155.

A farmhouse called 'Skittishayes' a tenement of 22 acres is marked on a survey of 1798.


1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

The farm is marked on the Tithe Map no 251, but not on the 1891 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 638 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Probably associated with John Scot, who is documented in 1353. Appears as Skottysheghys in 1468.


Simpson, S. J. + Noble, S., 1992, Blackdown Hills Survey (Site Visit). SDV110160.

A terrace and possible trackway are visible at the site of the farm. The farmer occasionally ploughs this field and said that when ploughed the foundations of a building are visible and quite a lot of pottery turned up. A metal detector has found several buckles here. The farmer found a bottle (neck broken) with 'MR SAMUEL CLAP COURTENAY 1769' inscribed on it, which he has kept. The farmer believed this farm to have been called Scotchayes and thought it may once have been a blacksmiths shop. Tracing of part of 1798 survey in Blackdown Hills Archive. Other details: Archive.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV110155Record Office Collection: Unknown. 1798. 1798 Survey. 826M/E43. Unknown.
SDV110160Site Visit: Simpson, S. J. + Noble, S.. 1992. Blackdown Hills Survey. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Field Investigation. Not applicable. Unknown.
SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 638.
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).

Associated Monuments

MDV115009Related to: Catch Meadow South of Scotchayes Plantation (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 29 2016 2:51PM