HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4776
Name:Parish church of St. Thomas Becket, Sourton

Summary

14th century chancel rebuilt in 1848, the rest is 15th century, restored in 1881. Church Of St Thomas Of Canterbury.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 535 902
Map Sheet:SX59SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSourton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615597
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX59SW/7
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)
  • Pastscape: 901396

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIII to XIX - 1300 AD to 1881 AD (Between))
  • SUNDIAL (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1880 AD? (Between))
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I - 1914 AD to 1918 AD (Between))

Full description

Falcon, T. A., 1902-1903, Church Plate (Article in Serial). SDV263957.

Sourton Parish Church; chalice. The cover of this chalice has the date 1756. There is also a later paten inscribed on the rim "the gift of Richard Beara senr., of this parrish, Octob. Ith, 1692".

Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 486 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Rood screen; two fragments of a stone screen, said to have been removed from a church in Okehampton. Retain some colour.

Falcon, T. A., 1904-1905, Sourton, 77-79 (Article in Serial). SDV263855.

In 1845 Sourton church was restored, the chancel was taken down and rebuilt on different foundations, in spite of council's opinion that the old lines should be adhered to. There was further restoration in 1887 or thereabouts.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 479 (Monograph). SDV17562.

The Parish Church of St. Thomas Becket is a 14th to 16th century building, mainly of moorstone.

Crowley, J., 1961, Sundials in South Devon, 271-272 (Article in Serial). SDV4705.

Charming sundial. Not dated. The baby-faced sun with a puzzled expression on his face has two upside down tulips in the space beneath him and a semi-obliterated floral design above. The numerals face outwards on both east and west sides. Cut on very poor quality slate.

Department of Environment, 1987, Sourton, 86 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV263856.

Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury. 14th century chancel rebuilt in 1848, the rest 15th century, restored in 1881. The chancel walls are of local stone rubble, otherwise the walls are of granite ashlar. Gable ended slate roofs with 19th century coping stones to gables. Comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch.
See List for full details.

Curno, J., 2015, John Curno Photography, http://johncurnophotography.co.uk/projects/dartmoor-war-memorials (Website). SDV357649.

Sourton, St. Thomas A' Becket. Memorial consists of two paques inside the church to remember those who died in the First World War and those who perished from the wounds between November and December 1918. Names listed.

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

8/127 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury - 22.2.67, GV II*
Parish church. C14 chancel rebuilt in 1848, the rest C15, restored in 1881. The chancel walls are of local stone rubble, otherwise the walls are of granite ashlar. Gable ended slate roofs with C19 coping stones to gables.
Plan comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The chancel probably has the earliest origins dating back to the C14 although it was substantially rebuilt in 1848. The rest of the Church is C15 - the aisle judging from its windows is late C15 but it may postdate the nave and tower. The south porch has no dateable features and was probably also largely rebuilt in the C19. The Church was restored in 1881. 3-stage west tower is crenellated with 4 plain pinnacles and set back buttresses with off-sets. Chamfered plinth. 2-light straight-headed belfry lights. The west doorway has a 4-centred stone arch with hollow and roll moulding and an arched hoodmould which continues as a stringcourse. The west window is granite with 3 lights and simple tracery in the Decorated style which has probably been restored. Above the window is an arched hoodmould which continues as the stringcourse. The north aisle has a 2-light straight-headed chamfered granite mullion window in its west wall which is likely to have been inserted in the C17. The 2 north windows have moulded granite jambs and chamfered mullions with cinquefoiled heads. The right-hand window has had its head restored and is 2-light; the other is original and of 3 lights. Both have square hoodmoulds. Between the 2 is a buttress. At the east end of the aisle is a 2-light granite window with very simple late Perpendicular tracery. The aisle has a coved granite cornice and a chamfered plinth. The east window is a 3-light C19 restoration in the Decorated style.- On the south side the chancel has 2 windows -a similar 2-light restored Decorated style window to the left and a single trefoiled lancet to its right which is of granite with an arched hoodmould and is probably original. The south aisle has a coved stone cornice and chamfered plinth. Its window to the east is probably original, of granite with 3 cinquefoiled lights, the central one taller. To the west of the porch is a 2-light mullion window with probably restored mullion and cinquefoiled heads. The single storey gabled south porch has a plain rubble stone arched doorway with chamfered imposts. Above it is a slate sundial.
Interior: Porch has plastered wagon roof. Remains of holy water stoup. The granite south doorway has an acute 4-centred arch with hollow chamfer and worn stops. The interior of the church has been rendered in the C20. 3-bay granite arcade to north aisle of depressed 4-centred arches with Pevsner A-type piers which have deep moulded cup capitals and moulded bases. Similar tall 4-centred chancel arch which springs from a corbel on the left-hand side. Tall rendered pointed tower arch. The rood screen has been removed but the opening to its stairs survives. There is a squint from the aisle to the chancel.
Roof: Over the nave and aisle are wagon roofs which incorporate some old timbers. The roof to the nave has carvings in high relief to its purlins and principal raftes with some old colouring of red and gold surviving. The bosses and wall-plates have been renewed. The aisle roof is very similar but uncoloured and also preserves its old wall-plate on the north side which has crude carved angels holding shields. The chancel roof is completely renewed and the seating is also C19. Large royal coat of arms of Charles II is preserved on the north wall but was formerly in the tower. C20 granite font. Sources: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton : White's Directory 1878 ; Kelly's Directory 1897.

English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

8/127 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury - 22.2.1967, GV II*
Parish church. C14 chancel rebuilt in 1848, the rest C15, restored in 1881. The chancel walls are of local stone rubble, otherwise the walls are of granite ashlar. Gable ended slate roofs with C19 coping stones to gables.
Plan comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The chancel probably has the earliest origins dating back to the C14 although it was substantially rebuilt in 1848. The rest of the Church is C15 - the aisle judging from its windows is late C15 but it may postdate the nave and tower. The south porch has no dateable features and was probably also largely rebuilt in the C19. The Church was restored in 1881. 3-stage west tower is crenellated with 4 plain pinnacles and set back buttresses with off-sets. Chamfered plinth. 2-light straight-headed belfry lights. The west doorway has a 4-centred stone arch with hollow and roll moulding and an arched hoodmould which continues as a stringcourse. The west window is granite with 3 lights and simple tracery in the Decorated style which has probably been restored. Above the window is an arched hoodmould which continues as the stringcourse. The north aisle has a 2-light straight-headed chamfered granite mullion window in its west wall which is likely to have been inserted in the C17. The 2 north windows have moulded granite jambs and chamfered mullions with cinquefoiled heads. The right-hand window has had its head restored and is 2-light; the other is original and of 3 lights. Both have square hoodmoulds. Between the 2 is a buttress. At the east end of the aisle is a 2-light granite window with very simple late Perpendicular tracery. The aisle has a coved granite cornice and a chamfered plinth. The east window is a 3-light C19 restoration in the Decorated style.- On the south side the chancel has 2 windows -a similar 2-light restored Decorated style window to the left and a single trefoiled lancet to its right which is of granite with an arched hoodmould and is probably original. The south aisle has a coved stone cornice and chamfered plinth. Its window to the east is probably original, of granite with 3 cinquefoiled lights, the central one taller. To the west of the porch is a 2-light mullion window with probably restored mullion and cinquefoiled heads. The single storey gabled south porch has a plain rubble stone arched doorway with chamfered imposts. Above it is a slate sundial. Interior: Porch has plastered wagon roof. Remains of holy water stoup. The granite south doorway has an acute 4-centred arch with hollow chamfer and worn stops. The interior of the church has been rendered in the C20. 3-bay granite arcade to north aisle of depressed 4-centred arches with Pevsner A-type piers which have deep moulded cup capitals and moulded bases. Similar tall 4-centred chancel arch which springs from a corbel on the left-hand side. Tall rendered pointed tower arch. The rood screen has been removed but the opening to its stairs survives. There is a squint from the aisle to the chancel. Roof: Over the nave and aisle are wagon roofs which incorporate some old timbers. The roof to the nave has carvings in high relief to its purlins and principal raftes with some old colouring of red and gold surviving. The bosses and wall-plates have been renewed. The aisle roof is very similar but uncoloured and also preserves its old wall-plate on the north side which has crude carved angels holding shields. The chancel roof is completely renewed and the seating is also C19. Large royal coat of arms of Charles II is preserved on the north wall but was formerly in the tower. C20 granite font. Sources: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton : White's Directory 1878 ; Kelly's Directory 1897.

Church of England, 2017, Church Heritage Record, 615597 (Website). SDV360229.

14th century chancel rebuilt in 1848; rest of the 15th century church restored in 1881. 2008 image included.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 479.
SDV263855Article in Serial: Falcon, T. A.. 1904-1905. Sourton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 3. Unknown. 77-79.
SDV263856List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Sourton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 86.
SDV263957Article in Serial: Falcon, T. A.. 1902-1903. Church Plate. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2. Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93016 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV357649Website: Curno, J.. 2015. John Curno Photography. http://johncurnophotography.co.uk. Website. http://johncurnophotography.co.uk/projects/dartmoor-war-memorials.
SDV360229Website: Church of England. 2017. Church Heritage Record. https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/churches. Website. 615597.
SDV4705Article in Serial: Crowley, J.. 1961. Sundials in South Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. A5 Hardback. 271-272.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 486.

Associated Monuments

MDV33830Related to: Abbot headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33831Related to: Brook headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33825Related to: Lych-gate 20 metres west of Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33832Related to: Pellow headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33833Related to: Pellow headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33829Related to: Pidler headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33827Related to: Pleace headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33828Related to: Pleace headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)
MDV33826Related to: Williams Headstone, Church of St Thomas, Sourton (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV2667 - CHURCH PLATE (XVII to XVIII - 1692 AD to 1756 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV8458 - Survey of the Sourton church tower

Date Last Edited:Jan 26 2021 9:32AM