HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV47934
Name:Site of the Half Moon Inn, Buckfastleigh

Summary

Originally a row of 19th century or earlier cottages, part was converted into an inn in the mid-late 19th century, known as the Half Moon Inn. Also known as The George and The Stable Door. Demolished sometime between 1999-2006 to make way for new housing.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 733 653
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckfastleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST BUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NW/203

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COACHING INN (Altered, XIX - 1849 AD to 1880 AD (Between))
  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Constructed, XIX - 1849 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

No buildings shown here on the Tithe Map; only a pond in the corner of the field adjacent to the road. Cottages appear to be mid-late 19th century, based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Half Moon (Public House) is depicted on the late 19th century historic mapping.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 49-50 (Monograph). SDV359976.

The George Inn is an amalgamation of a series of cottages dating from the 18th century, although it was not until the 19th century that it first became an inn. Originally known as the Half Moon, it was a bustling coaching inn, ideally situated on the main Plymouth to Exeter road. The name was changed to the George Inn before becoming the Stable Door Inn in the early 1970s. The landlord at the time owned racehorses, one of which won the Irish Grand National. At this time, the inn was enlarged with the addition of the section now housing the Ship Room. This houses a large encased model of H. M. S. 'The George' a replica of the original 'Royal George', a man o war with 100 guns (sister ship to Admiral Nelson's flagship 'Victory'), built in 1746 at Woolwich.
In 1984 the pub closed 18 months before re-opening and reverting back to one of its former names; The George Inn. Along with the Ship Room the inn contains the main bar, Queen's lounge and games room. Separating the main bar from the Queen's lounge is a partition wall incorporating a fireplace built into a beautiful tunnel.


GetMapping, 1999 - 2000, Dartmoor 1999-2000 1:1250 Aerial Photography (digital) (Aerial Photograph). SDV345751.

The old pub and buildings can still be seen on this version of the aerial photography.


Cartographic Engineering, 2006, Dartmoor 2006 1:1250 Aerial Photography (digital) (Aerial Photograph). SDV345590.

By this time, the pub and cottages have been demolished and replaced with modern housing.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

The modern mapping shows Halfmoon Court; a modern group of buildings that have been built over the site of the Half Moon Inn.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345590Aerial Photograph: Cartographic Engineering. 2006. Dartmoor 2006 1:1250 Aerial Photography (digital). Digital.
SDV345751Aerial Photograph: GetMapping. 1999 - 2000. Dartmoor 1999-2000 1:1250 Aerial Photography (digital). Digital.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 49-50.

Associated Monuments

MDV47935Related to: Halfmoon Smithy (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 23 2019 4:11PM