HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV47959
Name:Newbrook Wood Copper Mine, West Buckfastleigh


Small mine depicted on the late-19th / early 20th-century historic maps on the north-eastern edge of Burchetts Wood, south of Hembury Woods.


Grid Reference:SX 723 679
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWest Buckfastleigh
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX76NW92
  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 1441568
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NW/225

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ADIT (Constructed, Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))
  • COPPER MINE (Constructed, Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))
  • HORSE WHIM (Constructed, Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))
  • POND (Constructed, Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))
  • SHAFT (Constructed, Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows Newbrook Wood Copper Mine, with shafts at the southern corner of the enclosed mine area, and some sort of structure in the north-eastern corner.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Newbrook Wood Copper Mine (disused)' indicated on the early 20th century (1906) map. 'Old Level' is marked at the north-eastern corner, 'Old Shaft' at the southern corner and a square structure at the north-western edge of the mining area. Not shown on the mid-20th century (1963) map.

Newman, P., 2006, Measured Survey Hidden Dartmoor: Peripheral Mines (Phase 1 Pilot) (Report - Survey). SDV351461.

(30/03/2006) A small copper mine sited at the edge of Burchett's Wood on the south side of the Holy Brook, located so as to exploit the north-eastern section of the Brookwood, Wheal Emma lode. Very little documentation has come to light for this mine and although leases to mine in Birchetts Wood and Hempney Wood survive from 1834, 1844 and 1857 (Devon Record Office, 9924m/L46/3) it is not know whether the site was developed at these dates. A plan and section of 1893 (Devon Record Office AMP 3029) shows the main features though it is unlikely the mine was still working at that date.
The mine is located near the bottom of a moderate north facing slope in what was the corner of a field, though the remains are now separated by a fence and overgrown by woodland and scrub.
The 1893 plan shows that the mine had a single inclined shaft, labelled 'Engine Shaft' equipped with a horse whim for hoisting and a ladderway. Nearby an apparently single storey building is described as the engine house. Underground it was proposed to work the lode from three levels, vertically connected by a series of winzes. However, only the adit level, approximately 50 fathoms long and one other level at 10fthm below adit were started, the latter extending to only 14 fms. A single winze connecting these two levels has a stoped area below the adit.
On the surface, evidence for the shaft consists of a small rectangular hollow at SX 7236 6789, and the site of the engine house is no longer apparent, though a hollow containing some rubble just below the shaft may represent partial evidence.
To the south of the shaft a raised whim plat to support horse-powered hoisting equipment survives as a flat topped conical mound.
The adit is sited approximately 30m to the NE of the shaft at the bottom of the slope. A narrow gully leads up to the rock-cut portal, which although flooded, remains open.
Spoil was trammed or barrowed from the adit and dumped on a moderate spoil heap to the north west.
On the western corner of the site, built against the field wall is a former pond, possibly intended to store water for the engine. The rectangular earthwork is cut into the slope and has substantial banks of up to 1.8m thick with a stone-clad exterior. The interior of the pond is 12m by 9m. The water source is uncertain; no natural springs are present in the vicinity.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93077 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV351461Report - Survey: Newman, P.. 2006. Measured Survey Hidden Dartmoor: Peripheral Mines (Phase 1 Pilot). English Heritage Survey Report. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV113329Related to: Mine shaft north of River Mardle, part of Old Wheal Emma Mine (Monument)
MDV47958Related to: Quarry in Hembury Woods (Monument)
MDV49062Related to: South Devon United Copper Mine, Buckfastleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8574 - Hidden Dartmoor: Peripheral Mine (Phase 1 Pilot)

Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2022 10:32AM